Do you write what you want or what others want?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Amandajk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you write what you want or what others want?

Post by Amandajk »

I write what comes to me mostly, but I have three kids who put in requests for stories. One of their ideas has morphed into a MG book I'm working on.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

The best writing I do caters to what comes naturally to me. It's also important to consider your intended audience and make adjustments accordingly. For example, if you write YA fiction but also tend to have a sailor's mouth in real life, you would have to alter your language for your audience :)
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I write my thoughts and the things i want to convey to the world because i want people to get something out of my writings. I want them to learn. And I want my writings to make a difference. But i guess you always have to consider the thoughts of your readers. What things do they want to read about, and know about. That way, your writings will make more sense to them.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

A mixture of both to be honest. By writing only what people want you're bringing yourself back since you have to enjoy the storyline in order to complete it. So, I tend to find a common ground by finding a plot that both me and others can enjoy.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

For commercial purposes, one should definitely write what others like. But I am a free writer so, I write what I like. If others like that, I accept it as being granted :tiphat:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Somniate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somniate.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Somniate »

ashes wrote: 22 Apr 2015, 15:33 Hey! The title of this topic says it all really. I'd just like to know if anyone here writes about things that they want to write about, or things that they think people will like.

I normally write things I like writing, and if online communities like it then that's fantastic but if not then that's okay too, because I know I'd rather write things that I like writing rather than something I don't.
It's easier for me to write what I like. Right now I have something I've been working on for a long time, and it started as a kind of self indulgent way to get an idea out of my head. Then I showed it to some friends of mine, and they liked it too.

I think that if the author enjoys what they're writing, the reader is going to enjoy reading it.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I write what I want - unless I'm reviewing books and have to go by their guidelines.
I always feel a little sad inside having to censor myself, but I guess that's life. I tend to be nicer too- reminds me of my MFA days. One of my classmates would submit a workshop piece and we would give written feedback, but our professor had guideline. You couldn't say it was awful it was "suggestions for improvement". Sigh. I would be a much better writer myself if people were honest in their feedback without guidelines. I know that's just me though- it's like the phrase hike your own hike. Everyone is different.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

It's so important to write what you love, and not what anyone else wants. If you keep writing to please other people then you're going to stop loving writing.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

May be that the reason I have difficulty finding a market for my short stories is I write what I want. That is where I derive pleasure in creation of a story. May be that is the wrong path if I want to be a famous - well known - wealthy writer. But it is my path. Oh, well. It still gives me pleasure.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

It's about finding that balance. Or writing what you want in a way that will appeal to others. That could mean upping the romance or action... or creating a greater sense of mystery or suspense in the story. The thing I'm working on now is centered around suspense. One of the characters is a wild card and you don't know what to expect of them, what they might do, or how others will react.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Now I think that I should also write in a manner that would be natural to me.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Joachim4 +
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Joachim4 + »

Well,I wrote what I want when I have ideas and when I don't,I look for inspiration in other people and then use them as my reference.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I write for me. My characters, my story, my time, & my labor = me.

With that said, however, I stay aware of the greater world around me and the greater context of what I am writing. I take criticisms from reviews and grow from them, adjusting my writing style and tone to find the right balance. Do I sacrifice my story and characters for my readers? No. Do I make adjustments to those stories and characters to bring a better balance to those who read my work? Yes.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Kaitlyn Wadsworth
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Chrome Mountain
Currently Reading: Gularian Islands
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-wadsworth.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kaitlyn Wadsworth »

Mostly I write what I want. Though, I have found that once you are writing a story, the characters take over and don't always do and say as you may have planned. It's an interesting process. I once wrote a story about a priceless necklace which I found in a second hand shop. It was sold as plastic. In fact, it is made of blood coral. The second part of the story ended up with some interesting facts about the harm caused by coral farming and destruction, and what people should do to preserve the ocean's flora and fauna. This was not my initial intention but that is what happened.

I also write for other people. I was the reader/writer for a disabled person (dyslexic) when he studied at our local Polytech. His assignments were a real mess and I had to study the subject, decipher his writing, work out his intent as it matched with the assignment guidelines, and do his writing for him. I have also written business letters. Naturally, I follow what the real author wants me to write.
Jason Tooke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-tooke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Jason Tooke »

As a writer, I believe in striking a delicate balance between writing what I like and considering what others might enjoy. Embracing my passions and interests allows me to infuse enthusiasm into my work, making it more engaging and sincere. However, I also value the importance of understanding my audience and tailoring my content to meet their expectations, needs, and preferences. I believe that finding a balance will help me to create more meaningful and impactful writing that not only resonates with my creative vision but also connects with and delights my readers.

Return to “Writing Discussion”