First-Person, Second-Person, Third-Person

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: First-Person, Second-Person, Third-Person

Post by VISHWA129 »

Usually, I write first person, but I'm always open to writing in third person. Perspective plays a large role in the overall story, so I take care to ask myself who needs to tell the story and why it is theirs to tell. I've always wanted to write in second person, but that is a challenge that I will need to sit down and think through one day before I can approach it willingly. The only work I've read that truly counts as second person is the Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which did an excellent job of using second person to tell an important tale.
Lina-Hammami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-hammami.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lina-Hammami »

I honestly think second person is more poetic. It is my thing but I haven't yet done a work that satisfies my admiration for it. I am more relaxed using first person as it gives my the flexibility to express the several dimensions and thoughts of my character.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I usually prefer third person because with third person it's easier to describe settings in detail and when writing a bigger work like a novel/series it's easier to switch between characters/POVs when it's third person. Though, I like first person as well because it often lets the reader be closer to a character since you're constantly in their head.

I only wrote second person once for an experimental piece (not my best work to be honest). I find it to be the most difficult style to write in but I've also read other people's work that handles second person really well.
Maggie21Wussow
Currently Reading: The squad killer spirit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie21wussow.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by Maggie21Wussow »

Each POV comes with it's own struggles. In 1st person you have to give the protangonist a good reason to describe the world to the reader. But with 3rd person it puts a wall between the reader and the character. 2nd person is very intriguing but I've only seen it used sparingly in books. For instance in The Tale of Despereaux the narrator sometimes directs the readers attention to another character and story plot.
They all should be valued and used in the right instances
BrandonEllrich
Favorite Book: Tell Me No Secret
Currently Reading: Like A Mousetrap
Bookshelf Size: 4
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Like A Mousetrap

Post by BrandonEllrich »

I usually write in first-person, but I've also written in third. I have always wanted to try writing in second-person, but just haven't tried tackling it....yet.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Terri2 wrote: 17 Mar 2007, 22:03 Do you prefer to write in the first-person or third-person? Why?

Have you ever written a story in the second-person?
I like to write in first person because emotions are displayed much deeper in that way.

I've never wrote using the second person. It's very challenging.
LY_Rachel
Currently Reading: 24 Hours at Waterloo
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ly-rachel.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by LY_Rachel »

For original work, I usually write in first-person. Third-person is when I'm writing fanfiction, since TV shows and movies are in third person.

I've used second-person before, but only in short stories. I like to use it as a horror-element. You, the reader, are in this situation, and you cannot escape, sort of idea. This isn't the only way to use it– I believe Challenger Deep uses it to describe the main character's dissociation with himself. Unlike first and third person, this POV is reliant on the subject matter and content to work well, which makes it challenging to use.
Ayesha Faraz
Currently Reading: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-faraz.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Ayesha Faraz »

Writing in the first person can create a powerful sense of immersion for the reader. When using "I" and "me," the reader feels like they are experiencing the events and emotions directly alongside the narrator. It creates a personal connection that can be deeply engaging and relatable.
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

Personally, it depends on the storyline. I like to write romance and fantasy stories in third-person, but sometimes, like with the werewolf genre, first-person fits better. First-person POV does have that undeniable immersion factor.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I write in both the first and second person. But personally, I like to write in the second person frequently because it seems to me that even if we are somehow telling our own story through fiction, writing in the second person makes it anonymous I feel free to write without any hesitations. Hope it makes sense.. :eusa-think:
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I prefer first person for my novel. But I'd written the prologue in third person. I read a short story in OBC creative writing form. It was a story about a girl who's misled by her father in second person.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”