Should I blog?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tracey clark
Currently Reading: Stories in Green Ink
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Should I blog?

Post by tracey clark »

Addo wrote:Well, I personally think about "why". It's because your potential readers will benefit and you will derive a sense of satisfaction from sharing your views and opinions s. You may also, enjoy expressing yourself just do it if you enjoy it, don't if you think it will be a burden.
definitely... cause if you hate it, the readers will feel it through your writing... it will be rushed and/or full of mean spirited jokes... but if you can find something that makes you smile/laugh and add that to your blog, along with reminding people about your writing in the process.... then people will listen and remember
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I need to ask this, too -- WHERE is your blog to be located so that others will read it. Understand, I'm not talking about posting comments of Facebook or Twitter. I'm talking about a contiguous blog post. Where do others post theirs? My blog is a page on my personal website, so I had to buy my domain and upload my website files onto that site.

Where are others actually posting their blogs? Not a lot of folks have their own domains and websites. Just asking.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

I want as well to start a blog. Mainly because I like talking about the books I read, I like telling others why a book is so special as we do in this forum here. Also, if my reviews are appreciated, I like the idea of being one of the first readers of a new book.

I was thinking starting with a blog on one of the platforms that ofer free service.

Good luck if you decide to make one. :)
MarteenReadsBooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The Female of the Species
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marteenreadsbooks.html

Post by MarteenReadsBooks »

I think that you should start blogging. I feel that expressing yourself through writing in a way other than fiction is a great thing because if you want to express a topic, and you're looking for someone who sort of sees what you see, then blog. You can learn about so many views of subjects from all around the world just by blogging, and that, I think, will help alot when trying to make round, dynamic characters in something that youre writing.
aolivia09

Post by aolivia09 »

what are some ways to market your blog so it gets noticed?
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I think you should. The views and comments can be so encouraging.. they'll make you feel better instantly
Joyful
Currently Reading: The Quantum Mind and Healing
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyful.html

Post by Joyful »

It is my understanding that if you actually want to be picked up by a publisher you need an existing platform. I have 2 blogs on my website. One is specifically for Herbal Medicine which is the subject of my upcoming book. I have been blogging for 3 or 4 years now and have an audience which ranges between 50,000 readers and 100,000 readers depending on the month. September and December drop really low. I love blogging actually. There are a number of sites that tell you how to write truly good blogs. I would advise anyone to check them out
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Joyful wrote:It is my understanding that if you actually want to be picked up by a publisher you need an existing platform. I have 2 blogs on my website. One is specifically for Herbal Medicine which is the subject of my upcoming book. I have been blogging for 3 or 4 years now and have an audience which ranges between 50,000 readers and 100,000 readers depending on the month. September and December drop really low. I love blogging actually. There are a number of sites that tell you how to write truly good blogs. I would advise anyone to check them out
Wow. that's a lot of readers. Also, very interesting subject! Congrats! How can I check out your blog?
CHARULATHA_PRAKAASH

Post by CHARULATHA_PRAKAASH »

I haven't blogged till now, but after being active on many websites, I have developed an interest to start a blog of my own. I teach English as second language and I could share my views with other professionals and individuals regarding the challenges that I face.
Zohaib01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib01.html

Post by Zohaib01 »

Yes for it its quite relaxing and if u enjoy it then u can invest time in it
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Thanks for the information, I've been thinking about getting a blog going myself.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Yes! You definitely should start a blog. Even if no one reads it, it is the practice of writing consistently, getting your ideas on paper, and listening to yourself that really matters. I found blogging to be therapeutic, I could look back at my previous entries and see my progression in writing style/thought process overtime. It really is a great tool!
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

Yes! Blogging is a great way to hone your writing skills, learn about audiences, connect with other writers, and have so much fun. It's a great learning experience.
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

My own advise would be if you want to blog then blog, If you do it and it later stop oh well it didn't. I believe it is best to try and fail then not to try at all.
tempebrown
Currently Reading: Escaping Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 131

Post by tempebrown »

I've given blogging some thought but feel that if I'm going to spend the time writing, I should be working on my latest book or doing research. However, I may consider it if it doesn't make me feel that it's going to be too time consuming. I've got enough on my plate now.

Return to “Writing Discussion”