What inspired you to start writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Deb-Mannion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deb-mannion.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: What inspired you to start writing?

Post by Deb-Mannion »

I was applying for a job in a local museum and I had to research a local historical event and present my information.
I didn't get the job but I had so much fun doing the research, it was so interesting and I am so sure it will make an amazing story plot so I'm currently ( and very slowly) writing my first book.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I always enjoyed making up stories and letting my imagination run wild. I didn't start taking my writing abilities seriously until around seventh grade though. That was the year I finished reading all the Harry Potter books, and J.K. Rowling's writing really inspired me to pursue and better my own writing. I went on to win first place in a writing contest the next year, which really encouraged me to continue improving my writing. :)
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

It mainly started because I got of amazing ideas from reading extremely inspiring books. I used to write random plots down, but never really believing I could actually write one. Then I dived into a cycle of deep depression and anxiety, so I had to let it all out somehow without the need to talk to anyone. A few years later, writing became my release and I'm really happy I gave it a chance and started to find ways to improve myself. It certainly helped me through my tough times.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I wanted to create a book of my own. There were some endings of books that I didn't like and I would often alter them in my mind. When I realized that I could create my own, well mind = blown! So that's the story.
Nabby3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nabby3 »

I don't have anything else to do. People won't let me work. They rather give me charity such as food.

When I was making a film, an actress told other actors not to help me, because I am disabled. And a disabled person shouldn't be making a film. She thinks the disabled person should not have any dream or goal. Many people think I should go to church... and that's it.

So that is why I told people that I don't hang out with privileged people because they get to do everything. :)

Someone angrily told me why I didn't congratulate her on having a baby... I didn't know that I have to say that.
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

A quote from an anime, and how stories I like never go the way I want them to go.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Money! Yes, I will say that again money! When I found out that I would be paid for writing great reviews, I said yes to writing and eventually started writing. Along the line, I ended up liking the act.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Apart from money, one of the reasons that inspired me to start writing is to share my thoughts to other people. I feel that when I write, I pass across, vital information that people can rely on.
qwertya8103
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by qwertya8103 »

I wrote my first book at the age of 79 and the experiences and extraordinary events that happened along the way, convinced me without a doubt, that God is very real and very involved in our lives even today. This I wanted to share with others and give them the knowledge that they are loved and have the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit. That what we preceive as real and normal, is not reality. Our reality lies with the unseen and thus can last an eternity.
I wrote also because of life difficulties that can seem insurmountable at periods in our life. Fear is our greatest enemy and Satan's best tool. If we stay in the word, we will have our greatest defense against the evil that seems to be prevalent in today's world. Whatever my reason, it is my hope that the book will speak to the soul and lift the spirit. God Bless
Andrea Quinn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: We Are the Luckiest
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-quinn.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Andrea Quinn »

Writing gave me purpose. It makes me feel better to write as a form of therapy.

Happy reading and writing :techie-reference:
Andrea
Kaitlyn Wadsworth
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Chrome Mountain
Currently Reading: Gularian Islands
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-wadsworth.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kaitlyn Wadsworth »

I had a book story in my head and wanted it to be down on paper. Wrote it by hand as a child. Destroyed it as a teen. Rewrote the story as an adult. Still haven't published it. Know heaps about writing now. The story is the same as it always been but more polished and in everyway better than in its original form. Trouble is it has become three books. Two books are written and a third has been planned out. Have no money to publish it. At this stage I'd settle for being mentored.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Virginia Woolf said, "Read a thousand books and your words will flow like a river." Reading became my early habit during high school and I never truly thought of stepping into the world of writing. But thanks to my introverted nature when I realized that I was unable to describe what was cooking in my mind, I took up the pen, and my notepad and started scribbling whatever was bothering me, so gradually I couldn't live without it. It helped me understand myself and my jumbled-up thoughts.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I was inspired by many authors who had written devastatingly beautiful fiction. But they could not keep me motivated. My own enjoyment in imagining a different world is my constant source of inspiration and motivation.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”