Benefits of reading and writing.

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Sabrina Mota
Currently Reading: The Duke & I
Bookshelf Size: 17

Benefits of reading and writing.

Post by Sabrina Mota »

Reading and writing are fundamental skills that play a crucial role in our lives. These skills not only provide us with the ability to communicate effectively but also offer a wide range of personal and cognitive benefits.

One of the most significant advantages of reading is its ability to expand our knowledge and understanding. Through reading, we gain access to a wealth of information, insights, and perspectives from various authors and cultures. This exposure enhances our critical thinking skills, enabling us to analyze and evaluate different viewpoints.

Moreover, reading fosters empathy and emotional intelligence by allowing us to immerse ourselves in the experiences of fictional characters or real-life individuals. This helps us develop a deeper understanding of human emotions and behaviors.

In addition to the benefits of reading, writing also offers its own set of advantages. Writing allows us to express our thoughts, ideas, and creativity in a structured manner. It serves as a powerful tool for self-expression and reflection. Through writing, we can clarify our thoughts, organize complex concepts, and articulate our feelings.

Furthermore, writing can be therapeutic. Journaling, for example, enables us to release emotions, reduce stress, and gain a sense of clarity. It provides a private space to explore our innermost thoughts and concerns.

Both reading and writing contribute to the improvement of language skills, vocabulary, and communication abilities. They enhance our ability to articulate ourselves clearly and persuasively, which is valuable in both personal and professional contexts.

In conclusion, the benefits of reading and writing are numerous and far-reaching. They empower us with knowledge, stimulate our imagination, enhance our cognitive abilities, and provide a means of self-expression and reflection. These skills are essential for personal growth, intellectual development, and effective communication in today's interconnected world.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Reading exposes you to a wealth of information, ideas, and perspectives. It's a primary way to learn about different subjects, cultures, historical events, and more.
It also regularly exposes you to new words and phrases, helping you improve your vocabulary and language skills. A rich vocabulary enhances communication and cognitive abilities. Self-Expression: Writing provides a medium for self-expression. It allows you to convey your thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a creative and meaningful way.

Writing helps you articulate your ideas more clearly and persuasively, improving your overall communication skills. It requires you to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information, thereby enhancing your critical thinking abilities. When you write about experiences or concepts, it can reinforce your memory by engaging different parts of your brain.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

I like this write up. Yes, to make significant success in this world, one must be able to be a voice. So, let's keep on writing and be a voice in the industry.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

I found readingmore beneficial. Before you can be a good writer you must have been a good reader.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:

I love writing too but reading or learning from others will make one a master.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Reading not only brings knowledge but also brings joy. Books transcend space and time; there is something magical about them. Writing links the hand to the brain, and I think it's indeed the best form of therapy.

When I went to school, I remember lots of kids didn't like reading. Even now, some of my friends would read just under duress! Such a shame, as books are friends. They are missing out on lots of friendships!
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I was the classical failed product of the American Public School System. I was pushed through grade after grade. At 16 years old in 2001, I had the reading comprehension ability of a 5th grader and the writing ability to match in most respects. I was the school punching bag for jokes and being picked on. Then, one day, I had enough. I picked up a dictionary and a Star Wars novel at home, Star Wars: X-Wing (The Bacta War) by Michael A. Stackpole (1997), and taught myself to read (word by word, line by line). By the time I got to college 2 years later, I had a 93% writing comprehension grade, 97% reading comprehension grade on my in-take exam, and a mini-library of Star Wars novels at home. To this day, I still have that dictionary. We won't talk about math. :lol2:

My point is not to bash the public system. My point is to illustrate that if you have the will, there is a way. I had 2 teachers that pushed me at 16 & 17 years old to be better, a nearly-retired English Arts teacher and a World History teacher. Aside from my 4 football coaches and those 2 teachers, no one noticed me as I slipped through the cracks from elementary school all the way through middle school and most of high school and by that point, there was only so much they could do. But with their guidance and my willpower, I went from an almost high school dropout to, relatively speaking to my upbringing & past experiences, a moderately successful adult (not in terms of wealth, but of stability). I went from not being able to read, to being an author of 3 in-print books and having a whole room converted into a library at home with my wife.

Is this to gloat? No. Once again, it is to illustrate that I was a choice away at 16 years old from being a high school dropout with no reading or writing ability to someone that has, somehow (at times lol ), managed to make it to 39 years old and have a family. Yeah, the rust on the car is there, I wear the same clothes until they fall off, and the food bank is a monthly trip. And I spent 3 years in my car before I wrote my first book or met my future wife. But the alternative at 16 years old was, honestly, something far, far worse. And it was prevented because I had the willpower to say I did not want to be made fun of anymore as a teenager or live the life that the public system had provided for me.

At the end of the day, reading & writing provided me a way out and a path to success. Without the ability to read or write, I do not know where I would be in this world honestly.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

There are uncountable benefits of reading and writing, obviously. But as they differ for each individual, I will share what I gain from then. Since I began reading my character has matured, I have become more open minded, I will continue to read and grow. And writing keeps me balanced and helps me to process my thoughts.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

Reading and writing are both key life skills. The better you can read and understand words, the better writer you become. They open doors to interesting jobs and help you succeed in life.

Return to “Writing Discussion”