Do you outline? If so, what is your method?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: Do you outline? If so, what is your method?

Post by clint_csperry-org »

IF I spent any time outlining, I would never write a thing. If I spend my energy trying to envision a skeletal frame for the story, I would never create it. I am a pantser. For me, the story flows out as it will. I follow where the characters take me, and the plot builds itself. Often when I think I might know where it will end, the characters take a detour and surprise me with something completely different. At the end I have some clean up, sure, but the story is fresh, not forced into a frame. The characters act as people do, they are not stilted cardboard cut outs moving by strings pulled in the background.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Yes, I like to keep things organised, so I will definitely outline when I write a book... or any stories in general.
Since I note down my ideas, I don't want to forget about them. If I write spontaneously for the whole story, I'm sure I will miss out something because of my poor memory.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

This is all really great advice. I love how helpful everyone is. I just googled the snowflake method as mentioned about and think that it is going to be very helpful. I love outlines personally because I feel like I need a plan.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I completed an outline many months back for this little project I'm working on (hoping to compile a graphic novel). I outlined what each chapter will be out so that I could see how the story will flow from A-B. It also helps me ensure consistency in my story as I have a tendency to forget and really don't won't to mess up my first project.

For regular writing, I just go with the flow and write till everything comes together as they scenes play out in my head.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I'm not a fiction writer and even so, I still have never liked outlines. I understand the point of outlines, but it always seemed to me that most books are stories and that when one outlines, it confines the story. Not to mention, when you start asking yourself questions: what am I going to write about, what is the best way to say this, the most appropriate way to say this, what is my purpose or intention - you are kind of outlining, at least in your head anyways. In some writing situations, outlining might be almost essential and extraordinarily helpful. Outlining probably helps in many ways, even in fiction writing: so then the writer remembers to not omit information. Suppose you have to research and don't currently have the information, then having the outline serves as a reminder to include or research that particular point.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I'm constantly waffling on to outline or not. I hate outlines, but I understand they have their uses. And I feel like creating one would be quite beneficial. I just have a horrible time actually making myself do one. They don't feel natural to me. I'm more of a write by the seat of my pants person... But I have trouble finishing what I start as it always peters out... Which loops me back to trying to create an outline. lol.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

i usually draw a big line that represents the timeline of the actions happening, and then i cut the line into sections that say what scene happens when. helps me have a clear structure of the story and timeline
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

It's a little complex for me. I know that over 60% of the books I've ever written were done with a base outline. Now, the remaining 40% were a little weirdish, and here is what I mean. I always had a start and endpoint for my story so what I did most of the time was to create and imagine mutually exclusive scenes that occurred through the length of the story and then, try to patch them up by adding joints or fillers along the way. That method has worked for me incredibly as well, but it is hard to say whether or not that method classifies as an outline as well.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

Yes, I outline and I use mindmaps. The particular application I'm using now is MIndomo. It helps to stay on the road because often, I forget and change courses. Also, it helps you see where the book is supposed to go instead of blindly diving into it.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Before starting to write anything, I always ask myself one pertinent question: what do you want to write about? This gives me an understanding that I should write down the things I must include in my write-up. I start by taking out my pen and book, and then begin to note down ideas one after the other. After that, I can now arrange the ideas in a way that will look meaningful where one thought would come before the other.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I like to outline my works with short paragraphs. But these days there are so many formats for outlining. I think they destroy my creativity and force me into a mold. So, I just scribble away the major plot points and get to writing.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”