Do you outline? If so, what is your method?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
chattykathy
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chattykathy.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Re: Do you outline? If so, what is your method?

Post by chattykathy »

I actually do both. I will outline and I will just write. Sometimes there is a story in me that screams to get out and so I write it out. A friend of mine and fellow author said it was like being in a zone and you just need to do. Then when I get stuck and hit a wall I will outline where I want to go with the story and so forth. It helps to break through walls at times as well as making me see if I am where I want to be. Sometimes my free write sessions that I start each day with are stories that need to be expanded on. Some are trash and that is ok too. Go with what feels comfortable to you. We all write different there is no right or wrong way to do it.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I outline because it makes it easier to write my stories. I usually just write a summary of what is going to happen in each chapter. I even do bios for my characters where I describe their relationships to each other. I feel that unless I outline, I can't write my story.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Sabrinah Brendah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sabrinah Brendah »

Definitely outline. its easier to remember the original storyline IG you're so deep into writing the novel.
Even when writing, some great ideas might pop up in your head buy you're writing a scene that isn't connected to whatever idea you just got.
It's better to write it down then get back to it when the time is right
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Sabrinah Brendah wrote:Definitely outline. its easier to remember the original storyline IG you're so deep into writing the novel.
Even when writing, some great ideas might pop up in your head buy you're writing a scene that isn't connected to whatever idea you just got.
It's better to write it down then get back to it when the time is right
I agree that it is important to hurry and write down an idea that pops into your head. You would regret losing it if you didn't. I had that happen to me more times than I care to admit.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have rarely outlined. I do write down my ideas for scenes and such though.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I usually create an outline after a session of freewriting. Seeing an outline gives me ideas on restructuring as well as things that I could add.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Like having the skeletal system and filling it in with the muscular and cardiovascular, etc.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

If you don't outline before writing, you will probably have to do it before rewriting. Creating an outline simply means creating a structure to hang your story on. And, most of the time, it is easier to write when you know what to write. In addition, certain genres have particular obligatory scenes/moments, and designing those in the outline process makes things much easier than having to improvise during the writing process, or worse, having to squeeze them in during the rewriting process.

The simplest outline method I have seen so far is the seven-point story structure. Hook, Plot Point 1 (25%), Pinch Point 1, Midpoint (50%), Pinch Point 2, Plot Point 2 (75%), Resolution.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I don't outline. I tried it once and I hated it. I prefer to let my fingers fly, then go back and fill in the blanks.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

This might sound odd. It's my process, it works for me.
When I get that story idea, I close my eyes and watch it like a movie. Not the whole story, sometimes just the beginning or the "twist". I spend about a week flushing out this "movie" in my mind. I decide if I like it, if I like those people.
I then take 3x5 index cards and write "scenes" or places or short pieces of dialog that pop into my head. Mostly when I am outside smoking or taking a shower.
Finally I arrange those 3x5 cards on a cork board and scribble thoughts, questions and /or events in the spaces between cards.
The final results start to look like a crazy serial killer board or a police board and, I am pretty sure that it freaks my husband out.
Is that an outline system? I don't know. Does it make it easy? totally.
Find what works for you, everyone is different.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

Yes, I do. I always keep in my mind. that what is my destination means I would start from here and reach there. After that characters(Protagonist ; Antagonist and other characters)purpose of story, then conflict and after that Happy ending( I love Happy ending). That's all. Thanks.
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Nina Butler »

I think you can write with or without one. I know authors that use spreadsheets to help keep track of details and characters. I like to create character profiles in depth and work from there. I don't always use an outline. I would use plot points to make the beginning, middle, climax, and resolution. I think this is the important part about writing. If you don't at least organize your thoughts, you will have chaos. I took a class on how to do this, and it helped me a lot. The name of the class was Story and Concept. I think that you should take the class to learn about how to create a story and organize it.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jmrott

Post by jmrott »

I think the answer to this question is dependent on what is an Outline. If we mean the subject outline we were taight in 6th grade than no. Even though such a structural framework can be expanded to fit into a novel length opus I feel it would too ridged and not fit the form of a novel. I feel a part of authorship is finding your methodology as the number of methods are as numerous as the authors themselves.

Let me tell you of a simple method I have used and developed. Thumbnail of the idea. Start by writing it out in about 2000 words or more. Not too much detail just the nuts and bolts of the story. Try and break it down to its three parts. Write those down in a list of 3 to 10 items. The goal is to granulate this idea out to 50+ scenes. If you write each scene with an average length of 2000 or so words you will have enough for a novel. Think of your story as a movie or a painting try and visualize it in your minds eye. Have conversations as the characters would. Feel as the characters would feel. During this process of writing each of the scenes keep a writers journal recording background story and ideas for upcoming content. Write thumbnails of each scene. Write about the story plot and character plot while thinking of the journey they are on. Doing this or something like this will be your own journey. You may even find that your own characters surprise even you as you write them. Bradbury called this the secrit self. I am paraphrasing when he said that he writes the story the characters wanted to tell.

I hope this helps you. I cannot leave you without advising that you find some good books on fiction writing. I've learned so much from others that have written so well on this topic. Oh and most important find your own methods. Use the methods you read about as simple tools.
As my creative writing professor said "writing is revision,revision, revision." while my art teacher said "The difference between and artist and a painter is knowing when to drop the brush."
jorecca robinson

Post by jorecca robinson »

I get a line piece of paper then i sort my main topics then bullet point my little topics that go under each category
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I don't see the need to outline. winding up the story at the end is something else which is done for the convenience but outlining is unnecessary in my point of view. it is up to the reader
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”