Does writing deeply emotional poems mean your are depressed?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Does writing deeply emotional poems mean your are depressed?

Post by chelhack »

I don't necessarily see writing deep emotional poems as someone writing out of and or being depressed. I write deep emotional poems yet they just seem to come at different times, in different situations/phases. I mean something deep and emotional can be an outlook on anything that touches the writer at any given time.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Does writing deeply emotional poems mean you're are depressed?

Not necessarily. If you are continuously writing dark and disturbing poetry possibly and you might consider talking to someone about it. However, deeply emotional poems, no. It may just mean you are passionate about the topic.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I write poetry in my native language i.e. Urdu. Most of the poems are sad and emotional poems. I think sad and emotional poems are easy to write. I tried to write happy poems and it really sucked and that was the moment of depression. ☹️😞☹️😞
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Deeply emotional does not necessarily mean depressed. It could also be joyous. I believe a poet is more intimately connected to a wide range of emotions than most people.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I often write some of my best work when I am emotional-either sad, angry, or passionate about a specific situation or idea. If you write "sad" or dark poetry, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are depressed (although if you are having unhealthy thoughts, that's another story). It just means you are able to tap into your deep emotional well and express those thoughts through your art.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I don't think so at all. You have to be connected to your emotions, sure, but that doesn't mean depressed.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I totally agree the artistic expression does not equate depression. No matter how dark your ideas and thoughts may be, that doesn't correlate to actual depression.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

eastandalchemy wrote: 07 May 2019, 13:19 I often write some of my best work when I am emotional-either sad, angry, or passionate about a specific situation or idea. If you write "sad" or dark poetry, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are depressed (although if you are having unhealthy thoughts, that's another story). It just means you are able to tap into your deep emotional well and express those thoughts through your art.
Well said! It just means that you are sensitive and have a way with words. You know what they say....tell someone something bad, then you have to tell them 10 good things to make up for the one bad thing. They are just felt more deeply.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think any strong emotion can produce depth in poetry. It's something felt but not necessarily a dark something, if that makes sense.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Czarina Grace
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarina-grace.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Czarina Grace »

No way! Technically poetry is another form of writing with specific lines and styles. That being said, it's another literary work to express. Now simply because you've been deeply and emotionally swept with the flow doesn't automatically mean you're depressed. I'd like to think you're just taking an opportunity to express yourself with greater depth.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Not necessarily. Poetry not only can be written without emotion, it very often is. The writing process can be automatic. Some stereotypes are terrible.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I wouldn't say yes or not, but, I believe we write based on some feelings we have. So, it can atually be true.
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

Like most people have stated here, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're depressed. That said, we are in some ways limited by our own experiences, and a poem might resonate more with a reader suffering from true depression if it's written by somebody with real experience in that.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

People can have depressed moments without have chronic depression. Writing dark poetry doesn't necessarily mean that you feel that way all the time. It might mean that during those times, you felt more deeply, examined more carefully, and remembered more clearly to express it.
I also liked LivreAmour217's point that writing deep poems may actually help you cope with emotions that could potentially otherwise cause depression. I know writing has helped me cope with a lot of things.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

No, it just means you are more willing to be in touch with deeper emotions than most people. Everyone has those thoughts and feelings or else it's darkness wouldn't resonate with them too.

Return to “Writing Discussion”