What's your go to technique or ritual for better writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

What's your go to technique or ritual for better writing?

Post by David Nash »

Everybody has one thing they do as a writer that helps make their writing easier. It might be anything from starting early in the morning before the kids get up, to a ritual of turning off all social media before they start. So, what's the one thing you do to make your writing process better that you think would help everyone?

And to be fair here's mine.

One of the most difficult things for me as a writer is to keep things in first person. To keep your reader engaged you need to maintain first person perspective as much as possible. To do this I always envision each chapter as a scene from a movie - and then I just write the dialog for the scene. I keep all the descriptions to an absolute minimum. I push through the chapter focusing on the active events that happen and what the characters have to say about it.

Then I read the chapter out loud to make sure my dialog is clear, concise, and sounds like different people.

When that's done I fill in the scene, describing the characters, the location, and the details - sight, smell, taste, feelings. This technique keeps my writing in active tense and focuses my mind specifically on making each chapter look, sound, and feel the way I want it to.

So what's your go to technique or ritual?
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

For me, I suppose it would be going into my bedroom, closing the internet windows I have open, and then just writing. I find I get more done there at any rate. It's probably more of getting rid of distractions than anything, but it works. Now I just need to do that more often.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
llbond84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by llbond84 »

These are all good techniques, my question to you guys is what do you do to overcome a writer block when you have one?
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

I play with my kids or play sports with friends, but always keep a note pad on hand. When I need new ideas or simply want a way to make a part of my story more interesting I do something else and let my brain deal with the problem on its own with my conscious efforts getting in the way. It may take only ten minutes or two hours, but an idea or several always arise. I may not even go with them in the end but even the ideas that don't fit my story free my mind to discover the one that do.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

my ritual? Hmm, write and write often. Every day. Share what I write with others who will offer critiques. Read a lot. Every day.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Keep a small notebook for good ideas. I sometimes have ideas when I'm walking or taking a shower, but the ideas slipped away within an hour later. I think writing them down can also be useful for writing exercises even when I can't insert them into my story.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

I second the person who said write every day! At least 20 minutes, even if you are writing "I don't know what to write"--eventually the good stuff will start to flow.
Tjbarn86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjbarn86.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by Tjbarn86 »

clint_csperry-org wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 22:14 my ritual? Hmm, write and write often. Every day. Share what I write with others who will offer critiques. Read a lot. Every day.
Wow, this struck me as something that sure could go a long way to stretch a writer's capability. It is something I'd sure pass off as advice to any other person that might need such a tip. Sure sounds like a very useful thing to be doing in the expanse of writing.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I don't really have a ritual, but I guess my technique is to take advantage of the time when inspiration strikes. I usually write a lot during this time since I am focused and motivated.

Return to “Writing Discussion”