Dialogue vs. Paragraphs - Which one do you prefer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Dialogue vs. Paragraphs - Which one do you prefer?

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I prefer both but dialogue seems better
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

It mostly depends on the style of the author and the genre. There are some authors that could portray action better in dialogue while some vice versa. However, personally speaking, I'd like paragraphs because I've always been into describing and it gives the type of serenity I want in a book.
Brittany Tatman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-tatman.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by Brittany Tatman »

For me, dialogue is always better than long paragraphs. The risk with long paragraphs comes from some writers' tendencies to be wordy. Dialogue provides the opportunity to do 2 things at once: to provide meaningful information in the context of the characters who are living out this situation, and to provide an opportunity for character development. Long paragraphs are easy, and oftentimes (though not all) a sign of laziness on the writer's part.

Return to “Writing Discussion”