Dialogue vs. Paragraphs - Which one do you prefer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Vallen Kale
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallen-kale.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Dialogue vs. Paragraphs - Which one do you prefer?

Post by Vallen Kale »

Hello everyone! Last night I was having a conversation with my writer friend about the forms of story-telling.

My friend had read a lot of novels but he also did a great dive into the plays as well, namely the works of Tennessee Williams (A Street Car Named Desire, The Glass Menagerie, Cat on the Hot tin roof and so forth). He suggested that sometimes a set of dialogues can be more meaningful than a series of long paragraphs. For example, in a dialogue, when the writer describes the action of the protagonist while he is speaking, it gives a greater insight into the character than with one paragraph.

As for me, I am a big fan of long, narrative paragraphs. I have nothing against my friend's idea but somehow it sounds intriguing. Thus, the reason for this post. I would like to ask you, as literary enthusiasts, which form of story telling do you prefer? A dialogue or a paragraph?

You can share your thoughts here and we will discuss together. :D
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Surprisingly, paragraphs. I feel like the have more flexibility and I could use a bit of poetry and dramatic sentences without being cringey. Dialogues, however, should always sound like actual people talking in real life, so readers could connect to them. It's extremely hard to recall all the conversations you had in your life and the slang you use with people, just to write a few words exhanged between your characters. Sometimes, I feel like I'm breaking my brain from the stress. Especially since english isn't my first language.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I prefer paragraphs since they have more information rather than just dialogue.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It depends on the type of fiction. For a example you cannot go on and on with dialogues in a thriller because the details of events are a must. But if you are describing a crime happened earlier, can use dialogues to give a full picture
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

A mix of both would do amazing things. I personally find it very interesting when there are some paragraphs describing emotions and action, then, a dialogue to get the real taste of what the characters speak.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

As a writer, I don't really have a preference. I suppose it sort of depends on what I need to convey to the reader, and the most effective way to do it. When you are talking about screen plays, it lends itself to more, dialog. On the other hand, prose only sometimes is dialog more effective.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I agree that a good story should have a combination of both. The use of one over the other depends on the author's style and what they want to tell. Personally, I prefer paragraphs more because my writing tends to lean toward description. Paragraphs allow me to be as wordy as I'd like. However, dialogue is extremely useful in defining characters; it is essential to any character-driven story.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

It really depends on the situation the characters are in. But mostly, I prefer dialogue.
When the characters are engaged in an action sequence. Some books like to use dialogue to imply what they're doing, instead of directly telling you what's happening.
E.g.
"Ouch! Watch out your foot!" vs. Character A accidentally stepped on Character B, and the latter winced.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I like both although I do believe that dialogues shorten information that would need long paragraphs.
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

I can honestly go either way. Dialogue heavy scenes are usually a lot of fun to read, and can help flesh out interpersonal connections within the story. You can't have just dialogue, however, and sometimes scenes are better without a single spoken word. It all depends on what's going on in the story.
Rabiul_tanmoy250
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rabiul_tanmoy250 »

Hey, it depends on the situation. But I prefer Dialogue instead of Paragraphs because Dialogue has more ability to expose any sentence.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

Dialog to keep the story moving, paragraphs for scene setting and introspection.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I prefer paragraphs, I think I am not that good at using dialogues.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I prefer paragraphs. I feel that it is difficult for the story to move forward on dialogue alone. Probably because it can be hard to pull it off well when writing it.
Ingrid Sanchez
Currently Reading: Ines Del Alma Mia
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ingrid-sanchez.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero
Reading Device: B08L6YSCDF

Post by Ingrid Sanchez »

Paragraphs for scenery and situation description. Dialogue if you want to expose the characters' set of mind, mood, relationships. I think a good novel should have a mixture of both. They are tools to describe the situations and get the reader involved the best we can within the scene and story development. A good use of the tools will mean a good result at the end.

Return to “Writing Discussion”