What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Eman Frasy
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eman-frasy.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Post by Eman Frasy »

Everyone has his own opinion about writing a story. Some people think about a title and then create a story regarding that but for others it may be vice versa. But what is the best way? Should one create a story first and then give it a title or it might be better to think about a theme or a title first and then make a story regarding that.

-- 27 Jun 2017, 07:15 --

I think it is better to think about a theme first and then create a story step by step regarding the title.
Odhiambo Felix
Currently Reading: Errant Spark
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Odhiambo Felix »

Having a title thought of first before the story may restrict your ideas and at times make you run short of points, I therefore feel it will be better to write first the story then the title shall follow thereafter

-- 27 Jun 2017, 07:34 --

Having a title thought of first before the story may restrict your ideas and at times make you run short of points, I therefore feel it will be better to write first the story then the title shall follow thereafter
Johniress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Johniress »

people differs on thinking.... some may find it easier to come up with title after finishing the story while others may be vise versa... so I encourage to stay with your own firmness if you think the title is the best to the story when you get to give according to your own personality
lois27pat

Post by lois27pat »

story
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

According to me story should be thought first and the title should be given according to the story.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Eric muiruri

Post by Eric muiruri »

Story and then the title
emersendarco
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by emersendarco »

Sometimes I have a title before a story and sometimes I have a story before a title. My title may also come to me while I'm writing the story or just having a random thought.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

For me personally, I always start on the story first and the title will usually follow, whether in the first few pages or at the end. I have always struggled with titles though, I like them to be unique and not follow the current trend that seems to be flowing especially for the genre I write in.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Generally I have the story first, but it tends to go one of two ways. Either, I start writing and a quarter of the way through I think of three to four titles and place them all on the first page. As the story goes along I narrow it down to my final choice. OR I create the entire premise and story arc before I start writing and have a title that fits. The second way happens less often, though it still leaves the option open to change the title in the manner of the first method.
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

My opinion is that a title should not precede a story. There must first be a story for a title to emerge. It is probably in project writing that a title precedes the research. Stories give rise to a title.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Back when I used to write, I was interested in learning about creative writing so I read a few books that were supposed to help. All of them explained how it's better to write the story first or at least develop your ideas. However, I always found it easier to make up the title first. I don't know why, but titles are very inspiring. Still, if you change your mind, it's easy to change the title as well so I guess it's best to go with whatever option suits you.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I agree with IsabelMay that titles can be inspiring but you should have an idea of the story you want to write before getting started.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I don't think there can be any hard and fast rules here. Titles are important, but it may not be possible to select the right one until one knows how the story turns out. I do often get an idea for a story which can often be summed up in a pithy way - so that is very likely to end up being the title! I am currently writing a book called "Weird Space", which was inspired by something I heard on the radio about the "weird space between youth and middle age". I also began a book called "Alternative Facts" in January 2017 ... no explanation required.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

story first then title
HonestyOnFleek

Post by HonestyOnFleek »

Story should be first. Basing on the title will only restrict your ideas

Return to “Writing Discussion”