What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Re: What to be thought first, a story or a title?

Post by anitamills293 »

Personally I think it's hard to title something undeveloped. I create the characters, the plot and then, if I am lucky, comes the title.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I think of a concept first then develop it into a narrative. I reserve the title for the last part because it can be tricky. Titles can make or break your book.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I've done both before. Sometimes a title just pops into my head and I build a story around it. Sometimes they end up not matching so I have quite a few titles I've saved for when I'm inspired with the right story for it. Usually I end up with a story first and find the title somewhere in the writing of it.
Amanda-Elin G
Currently Reading: Valiant Young Men
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singinggenius05.html
Latest Review: André's Reboot by Steve Coleman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda-Elin G »

I like writing the title first. When I come up with a title that sounds amazing first, it often inspires certain details in my story although I usually end up changing it as I come up with other ideas. Having a title beforehand adds focus to your writing, but if you are really invested in your story line, it cannot restrict your creativity. You may realize your title needs to be changed and that is okay.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Sometimes a title can inspire a new story but most of the time I feel the story should be written first, then somewhere along the way, the story itself gives a title on its own.
Amanda Majors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-majors.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Amanda Majors »

It's like asking which should come first, the lyrics or the tune. In my case, they both happen at the same time. As the song develops, both the lyrics and the tune may change. Same with writing a book. Your title may be your starting point, but your title may change as the story unfolds. In reverse, you may have a story idea that changes to fit the title, which may be a way to keep you focused or on track.
Jaewe2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaewe2 »

That's a controversial subject, if you create a story around a title at the beginning it might be hard to keep the story to the title. However, it depends on the writer and it might be easier to not deviate from the meaning of the title.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I usually make the story first because once I finish the story, there are any number of titles I can give it, but I can only use so many stories once I want to stick to a title.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

I usually find myself thinking of relationships between characters before anything else. I get hit with an idea of a conversation between people (and sometimes animals!), or a conversation an individual is having with themselves inside their head.
Plot comes later. Title is often the last thing I think of.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

A title will help develop the story, I have always known. If you do not have A direction, you cannot head towards anywhere. If I had a title, I can develop a story out of it. That is when I can think of the characters, the framework of the story and so much more. So, my opinion is that a title comes before a story
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

For me, the plot and the theme of the story comes first. The title gradually emerges as the story is progressing.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

The story comes first, for me.

Sometimes, the title could be way too bland and short, making it difficult to centre the story, setting and characters around it. I believe that after a good theme and plot are established, then it is suitable to name the piece of writing.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Story always comes first and then title at the end depending on what i produced or what my story comes out to be about at last.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Definitely the story. I really suck at titles. I'm approaching 20% completion on my next novel and it's still just called S :D
FuriousDestroyer75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FuriousDestroyer75 »

I think both. Sometimes, when you can't come up with a title, coming up with the story can really help you come up with a title. And sometimes the title can help you come up with a story.

Return to “Writing Discussion”