Typing training

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Typing training

Post by victorycoffee »

What sort of WPM are people typing? I spent a lot of time online when I was younger and a bunch of that was spent on training my typing speed. I find that it's now roughly at a point where it can keep up with my train of thought, and I find it makes it easier to get ideas out "onto the page" as it were.

I'm assuming most people write books on PC rather than on pen and paper, right? Are people actively working on their typing skills in order to improve their writing?
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I haven't worked on type training since I was in high school. That said, occasionally I've come across typing games that I find thoroughly entertaining and end up playing for a bit but it's more of a happy accident than anything else. I feel like, if you're having trouble keeping up with your train of thought as you type, then perhaps type training might be something worth looking into, but if you don't think that your typing is too slow, it's not really worth spending time on?

I don't know if it's really possible to type faster than your thoughts, anyway. At the end of the day, the best thing to do is type at a speed that is comfortable for both your wrists and your mind. It's unfortunate that we can find ourselves developing wrist problems as a result of typing, but I think that's definitely something that we should all be aware of.

I actually am not aware of what my WPM is, though now that you've brought it up I may go and test it, lol.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I need to work on this. Even when I've had a good idea of exactly what I want to say, my word counts during sprints is always lower than I'd like. I also have a big problem with editing as I go, especially with punctuation!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I used to be able to touch type, but now with my iPad, it’s two finger typing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

victorycoffee wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 18:53 I'm assuming most people write books on PC rather than on pen and paper, right? Are people actively working on their typing skills in order to improve their writing?
I thiink the more you type, the better you get, so no, it's not been an active effort for me. My greatest improvement was in college where for six years as a student had to type my own academic research papers, and then in college again as a professor where I wrote papers for publication. My skills skyrocketed.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html

Post by victorycoffee »

lbhatters wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 21:37
victorycoffee wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 18:53 I'm assuming most people write books on PC rather than on pen and paper, right? Are people actively working on their typing skills in order to improve their writing?
I thiink the more you type, the better you get, so no, it's not been an active effort for me. My greatest improvement was in college where for six years as a student had to type my own academic research papers, and then in college again as a professor where I wrote papers for publication. My skills skyrocketed.
Do you use 2 fingers or all of them or something in between? I used all but my pinkies for years, and I've heard that it doesn't matter too much how many fingers you use, although once you get up to the high end court stenographer level that's where it makes a subtle difference. At the end of the day, practice makes perfect!
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

victorycoffee wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:37
lbhatters wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 21:37
Do you use 2 fingers or all of them or something in between? I used all but my pinkies for years, and I've heard that it doesn't matter too much how many fingers you use, although once you get up to the high end court stenographer level that's where it makes a subtle difference. At the end of the day, practice makes perfect!
I had a course in 8th grade over the summer using all fingers. Actually, I still have to keep looking down when typing I was never able to completely memorize. But I think the course really did help in the end. It's still better than using the finger by finger method.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I constantly work on my typing skills. Even being on these forums help my typing since I use a computer for them. I learned how to type properly through the Mavis Beacon software during my elementary school days. My speed has increased with the years and I'm pretty satisfied with where it is currently. It is definitely at a point where my typing can keep up with my train of thoughts.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is better if you can type at the speed you get ideas, which most cannot. I prefer typing because my handwriting is not quite good and I am bit lazy to write. Anyway how can anyone type at the speed of the mind?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I used to train my typing speed. Now, I just don't bother. It doesn't affect me when I try to write my ideas. Not too slow and not too fast either.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I need to work on my typing speed. Sometimes, I struggle with keeping up with the speed of my thoughts! I am not sure if I can achieve that speed.
Lovinmaui
Currently Reading: Go Forth from Where You Are
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovinmaui.html
Latest Review: He Goes Out Weeping by David A. Fiensy

Post by Lovinmaui »

I literally use a keyboard 50 hours a week or more. I go through 2-3 different keyboards a year because I wear them out. I type pretty fast, but I haven't tested my speed in many years. Speed doesn't really matter to me; I just love typing on "keys". OMG; Am I old fashioned?
Clara gakii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Clara gakii »

I find myself first jotting notes on paper then on PC .
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

I don't do typing training. I find that my wpm is about 50-60.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I learned typing a long time ago. Though I'm not very fast in it, I still exercise some sort of mastery in it. Most times, I use my computer to type and access my pace. It's quite fun using the keyboard also.

Return to “Writing Discussion”