Writing about a places you have never visited

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Re: Writing about a places you have never visited

Post by Monet_va »

The best way to write about a city you've never been to is by reading about it in other books! Watch movies about it, youtube videos, history channels and do as much research as possible.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

Interesting question. As a Fantasy writer, I create new worlds for my stories, so I am always writing about places I have never been. On the other hand the place in my head that I am trying to put on paper seems as real to me as my home town. It is difficult sometimes, especially if I put a piece down for a while to get the clear visualization back when I try to continue the quest I was working on. I keep what I call a story bible that lists important features, characters, places, rules of magic or cultural norms that are outside of what most would consider normal. That helps me to keep things consistent.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Normally, in this situations I usually search about the place. I look for every information I may need about this specific place. Therefore, if you're writing a fiction or future related work, I believe you normally shape the places in your mind beforehand.
FrostBytez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by FrostBytez »

There is no problem with having self-made information in a sci-fi book, but if you want the reader to really believe your book, then it's best to research about the city.
Knock Knock
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I use Google Earth/Maps a lot when I'm writing about a certain city/place, but I try not to get too hung up on it. I figure I can take some creative license and very few people will even know, much less be bothered by whatever small details I may have missed.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

I like using an imaginary place within a real place. So for example, a made up neighborhood set within a real city. As long as most of your story is taking place in the imaginary, you'll only need minimum factual info about the real place that you can easily find online.

Return to “Writing Discussion”