How do you come up with ideas for stories?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Casey Kowalewsky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey-kowalewsky.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Re: How do you come up with ideas for stories?

Post by Casey Kowalewsky »

From my dreams or when I'm in a weird, day dream state and something strikes my fancy
Just follow it and see where it leads.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

In university, during my last studio, my teacher made us choose a story in a book where each had to develop it according to a specific location we each had to choose. I was quite successful in that exercise because I don't hold back when it comes to my imagination. Yes, I try to be as rational as possible, but I do believe that there needs to be passion in what you do. I daydream a lot and I was always full of curiosity and problem-solving was and still is a skill of mine.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Honestly, the ideas typically hit me upside the head with a hammer when I'm least expecting it. Quite rude, really.
Daksh_Goel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daksh-goel.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Daksh_Goel »

complimentarymatters wrote: 12 Nov 2007, 15:10 How do you come up with ideas for stories? How do you get started with a new story? How do you think of a good plot?
Firstly searching up prompts online is a great exercise. Though many people may disagree saying that prompts are hardly creative and original, I will say that these arguments are applicable against people who use these writing prompts without changing a thing. Adding your own twists and turns to the prompts makes it original, creative and fun. Thus, this is a win-win situation.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hayisa »

I search online. Maybe by reading books, articles, prompts, or just eating. Seriously, the best ideas came to me randomly and not because I pursued them. However, most of the time, I do my research and base them on real-life scenarios.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I am excellent at ideas. This may be because I don't look for them. They are the easiest part of writing. Coming up with bizarre scenarios and concepts. These come out of conversations, potential plot holes found in stories and movies, from dreams, from daydreams. They can arrive from an excellent nap. As long as you have no limits on what you imagine, an idea can flourish from thin air. My downside is that writing something and sticking to it is difficult because I have twenty ideas knocking down my door. My counter-question is how does one pick an idea and quickly shut the door to the other nineteen waiting for your attention?
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

For my stories, I start by doing a little research, followed by sitting down to think carefully. Also, I do a little outline of the things I would be needing to include in my stories which in turn makes it faster.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I will begin with a character and put them in interesting situations. Then they will just interact around. This is how plot develops for me.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

Sometimes I have dreams that lead to an enticing story, and sometimes I just brainstorm random ideas with my friends and then write them down.
all’s fair in love and poetry

Return to “Writing Discussion”