Is there an activity or hobby you use to help ideas flow?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Is there an activity or hobby you use to help ideas flow?

Post by Hallsword »

I am a runner. I enjoy the freedom of logging a few miles outside especially on a tree covered trail. When I am running I do listen to music but also let whatever thoughts I have come and go. I've found that if I am trying to come up with an idea of something to write about or if I have a work in progress, running has helped me work through both those scenarios.
Do you have a certain thing you do that helps generate ideas or helps break through writer's block? Is there something you do when you are stuck writing a piece and aren't sure which direction you should go?
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

If I need to clear my head or take a break or step away from writer's block, I'll go traipsing in the patch of woods behind my home...
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

I am not a runner, but I find working on something with my hands like a woodworking project opens up the portals.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Painting, or doing anything artsy and craftsy works for me. Especially if I start to draw different characters.

Tai Chi helps to clear my head if I get frustrated.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Lottie_Elsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lottie-elsie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lottie_Elsie »

Just being on the open road gets ideas rushing. Me, the endless road and a billion possibilities ☺☺
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I think its kinda weird but, when I ran out of words I usually ride something, drive something and words flows in my head. Its weird but it helps me a lot, especially when I have an essay to write for school.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I love meandering walks for bringing on the creativity-inducing trance.

I've also found that spending some time writing out some stream-of-consciousness helps me to drain my brain of everything meaningless and banal when I know what I'm writing about, but can't find the words.
CarmynnKayleen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CarmynnKayleen »

I write to write....

It sounds silly, I guess, but for those who do it as well, it makes sense. If I need to start on a certain project, I sit down and do stream of consciousness writing to begin. It helps me to get the thoughts out of my head that are "in the way," and sometimes my ideas will stem from that stream as well. I also will remember the things that I need to do other than the project, and write them down so they are no longer at the forefront of my mind, but instead they are on paper. It helps me to just focus on what I need to do and also get ideas flowing.

I also do yoga to help ideas to flow, because it helps me with visualizing and putting me at peace.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by JordanKSmith »

Typically, I'll go for a walk to a natural source of water, or I will play an energetic game on my Vive. Other times, I'll spend some time reading about whatever my current obsession happens to be. It varies.

I also like to do a type of meditation. I'll sit as still as possible, and I'll pay attention to an electrical tickling sensation that permeates the body. After 10 minutes of that, I will usually feel energized, uplifted, and ready for more writing. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

When I find myself stuck or unable to channel my ideas, I often take a leisurely walk around the neighborhood to watch the traffic or people doing their jobs. It is very relaxing. I also use stream of consciousness to reason out my emotions, sort out my thoughts, and give birth to some unique ideas.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Riptide
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Riptide »

I also find running to be helpful. Doing mundane, simple tasks help too--doing dishes, vacuuming, doing outdoor work.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

A sizable portion of my life consists of chores and keeping house and yard work. Truth told, most of my ideas flow while I'm washing dishes or mowing the grass or mopping the floors or cooking or brushing my dogs after their evening walk. These familiar, homely tasks don't really need the supervision of my mind, so my imagination is free to wander.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

I see a common theme here is doing some sort of outside activity, and I've really found that helps me the most, too. When I lived toward the western part of South Dakota, I found myself more creative when I would go camping or hiking in the hills. I think the activity in combination with the sight allowed for me to relax from my day-to-day life, freeing up space in my mind for creativity.

I've also found exposing myself to creativity helps a lot, too. When I listen to a song, watch a movie, read a book, or look at a photograph, sometimes I'm able to consider alternatives or create a spark of a character or concept or world. I'm really involved in the fantasy genre, so when I'm taking in others' material, I often think about the "what-ifs". I've also really gotten into observing the people and activity around me and use that for inspiration when I was previously pretty oblivious to my surroundings in the past.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am probably just reiterating what many have already said here. Great minds do think alike!

If I find myself stuck, I turn to some kind of physical activity, preferably outside.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

Recently I have found that cooking gets my creative juices flowing.

Putting creative energy into food helps me step away from writing and put my focus on something tactical. Working and forming food the way that I want to. (Or at least I try to make it look that way I want to)

It has actually opened me up to reading new kinds of material; cookbooks. Finding recipes and putting them to action is liberating.

Return to “Writing Discussion”