Is there an activity or hobby you use to help ideas flow?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Re: Is there an activity or hobby you use to help ideas flow?

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

Drawing/painting is very helpful for me. Especially, when I draw characters it really helps them feel alive and can spark ideas.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yes. Writing requires immense concentration and in order to write you must clear up your mind from jumbled-up thoughts. Personally, I've noticed that when I'm taking a walk, contemplating the common surroundings around me, e.g. the sky, and birds flying, a flow of thoughts unconsciously and naturally comes to mind that I think that's beautiful.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I'm another walker. I find that going for a good long stroll in nature relaxes me. I like to walk and be in the moment, listening to the birds and the laughter of children playing. When I get back to my laptop I find words flow more easily than before my walk.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Every night before I sleep my mind will wander off. I will think about what happened during the day. This helps me generate ideas. But more often than not I will be inspired while I'm busy with something other than generating ideas, like during last minute preparation for exam :D .
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “Writing Discussion”