How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
peaces
Currently Reading: who told you that you are naked
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaces.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by peaces »

I have always wanted to write a book, And this post is a timely one for me.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Thank you for that post, Scott. I have been researching on the process of getting a book published, even though I am not even sure I have the patience to finish writing the story I have in mind. I am willing to put in the hard work, but will I stay interested enough in the long term is the question that's always top of mind. I think I will do it. Some day soon, I hope :tiphat:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Edward_Mondale_Bill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edward_Mondale_Bill »

I would like to think that there are many stories worthy of being noticed by the public that flow in these veins. The most noteworthy, I think, has to do with my Dad and how he served in WWII. I was able to see, first hand, at his platoons reunion, how much his men respected my Dad. It wasn't for his bravery, although, my Dad had that and the medals to prove it. It wasn't for his fighting ability. It was to his men, my Dad was extremely, "Lucky" their words, not mine. It was that "Luck" that earned him their respect, and, yes, their awe.
Awesomesauce6

Post by Awesomesauce6 »

Writing is a idea that I've thought about pursuing for over a decade now. The internet and websitesblike this are helping me with my confidence about it.
Michael The Great

Post by Michael The Great »

Focus on the writer's character. Feature the climax of the story. Always get the reader's attention.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

As Denis said, "getting books published is getting easier is very true. I won't mention the name of a publisher that I regret once using. But I have since found that I can publish my own books quickly and easily through self-publishing with Amazon----no regrets. I recommend using their site for any self-publishing you might want to do. However, I am not in writing for the money or fame. I love to write and do it as a hobby only and enjoy it immensely.
SEG
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

To: Peaces. I know exactly how you feel. I think I had wanted to write a 'real' book since I was in elementary school in Arkansas. Books have always fascinated me. I started out writing little funny short stories to entertain my classmates---I loved making them laugh. Later I wrote for the school newspaper. Writing has become so much easier than it was when I was in high school; back before computers---taking shorthand classes and typing classes. No spell check, no grammar check, no thesaurus......how did we ever manage??? I was 60 years old before I finally managed to work up enough nerve to tackle a real novel. I used a publisher for my first two novels and had a bad experience. Now I self-publish my books through Amazon and haven't looked back. I highly recommend Amazon for beginners (and possibly old timers as well)....good luck with your endeavors. SEG
tirzahhawkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by tirzahhawkins »

Do you think it hurts your chances of becoming traditionally published if you start self-publishing a few short stories?
davidchown26

Post by davidchown26 »

These posts don't seem to exude much hope or confidence in publishing a book whether that be self publishing or through an agent.
Hyunen

Post by Hyunen »

Sometimes its really hard to published a book if you dont have the guts to published it sometimes you just have to believe that anything can happen
Abhay Padha
Currently Reading:

Post by Abhay Padha »

I want to tell you that I am reading such kind of things from 10 months to have a better idea and knowledge of topic of this book. There were many methods which were more affective than this. But this is also a nice platform to learn. Thankyou.
alaskaforreal

Post by alaskaforreal »

Sometimes getting an agent is harder than finding a publisher. What can help your chances in either even is super easy and that's to start a blog that relates to the book you want to write. Make it interesting for people who don't know you and grow your readership. Publishers will be impressed if you have a "platform," especially if it has quality content and a good readership. They will know that you can write appealingly and that you know your way around social media, which is all important from a marketing standpoint.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Thanks for these info. I also got some great tips from smash words about getting published. I hope that I would be able to get published soon.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 740
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Go to Lulu if you want to publish your book yourself. All you have to do is put in your manuscript then when a person orders your book, it'll print the book for them so you don't have to have so many books laying around waiting to be read and getting dust bunnies on them.
joanisongs100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by joanisongs100 »

This is really good.
I love the innovation.

Return to “Writing Discussion”