Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4515

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by LoremasterTappa »

The best ideas for my stories comes to me when driving and the radio is on. Does that count? I keep a notepad and pen in the car at all times so I can write things down when I get to a stoplight.
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman
AaronMoshe1989

Post by AaronMoshe1989 »

It really depends on the day and the mood that I am in. If it is a rainy day, I will need music to brighten my outlook on life, and it might be for the whole time. the music selection is then decided upon how I woke up that morning: If it was with a smile(not a realistic smile but a spiritual smile) then it could be music from the 50s. If I wake up all grumpy, then it could be more classic rock than 50s. TH music changes with the way that the day progresses, but most of the time I listen to music when I write in order to block out everyone, especially when I use my noise canceling headphones.
caryjr73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caryjr73.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by caryjr73 »

Yes. I have a number of playlists that are set to flow with the different aspects of writing that I do. Music sets the beat to my writing flow.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I usually don't but I started to because it's loud in house so when I write with music I put headphones on so I don't hear the sound and so I can concentrate better
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

I like to listen to music when I'm thinking about my stories or to get a bit of inspiration. so I will write notes down and brainstorm while listening to music but once I really start writing I like silence.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Music is often quite the creativity driver!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Darklingblue

Post by Darklingblue »

All of the time, anything from John Moreland to Nine Inch Nails, as long as the music speaks to me, then thats what I'm going to listen to.
Readingcorner

Post by Readingcorner »

Yes sometimes
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

No, never. I don't like listening to anything.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I listen to music a lot when I write, partly because I do a lot of work at a local coffee shop and it helps to tone out the noise. It also can help drown out the silence, which can be a different kind of deafening if you're writing in a quiet place alone. I listen to a lot of classical music while I write, but have also been known to listen to bluegrass. Most recently, I have written while listening to Irish music as I'm writing a story that takes place in Ireland. Helps me to feel like one with the story.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Sometime I do listen to music when I read. But when Writing I don't since it makes me distracted
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

It might be odd, but my preferences change often. Sometimes I need complete silence, other times I need music blasting in my ears or I can't concentrate. Sometimes I need heroic epic instrumental music, other times a whole bunch of disney songs on repeat. I never really know until I sit down to write. It makes me laugh really 😂
echoesofmj
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echoesofmj.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by echoesofmj »

While music can be a distraction, I find it helps with my vibe. Sometimes, the song fits the story perfectly, and then it's like you get a good rhythm going.

I've never tried writing while listening to music without words. Sometimes, I even write while watching a movie or a TV show. It's just to trigger the inspiration or to get it started. All you need is a little push, sometimes.
MedleyLORE
Favorite Book: A Killer's Mind
Currently Reading: A River in Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MedleyLORE »

I’m constantly listening to some type of music but when I’m writing I have to have a calm and instrumental consistency if not the story turns in to that song.
I don’t know if I would be able to write with worded songs. A little too distracting.
LisaGreen

Post by LisaGreen »

Sometimes music may disturb your blogging. Listening music create vibrations and those vibrations make difficult to concentrate.

Return to “Writing Discussion”