Writing Goals

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jenni1607
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Writing Goals

Post by jenni1607 »

Hi there,
I give myself a goal of 3,000 words a week, rather than a daily word goal, as some days I write better than others.
oliv101

Post by oliv101 »

Writing goals is just a part of making yourself stay alert for the one we wanting for.Actually its just to jot on mind and we can do it through other modes too.
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

I want to stick to a story. I usually wrote a few chapters then move on to something else
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

The Diamond
Titan Mine
Memory
Fathers Day
The Relative Age
Gravity (Maybe. Yet another movie came out that will make my book sound like a rip-off.)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Goals? Sure! I'd like my new private detective novel to win the Edgar award as best PI novel of the year! ha ha

Seriously, it's good to set realistic goals. My first goal as a mystery novelist was to finish a full novel. That I did.

Next I wanted to sell that novel. Another checkmark, sold it!

So I wrote a second PI novel and sold that one, too.

Now my 3rd novel is in progress and I'm hoping to sell it as well, hopefully for more money than the first two, if possible. If not, to at least sell it anyway.

Long ago I set other writing goals... to be published somewhere somehow at all. That I did, at first contributing small articles and short stories, for which I received no money, but was paid by being sent a stack of the magazines.

Later I managed to actually sell articles and short stories, and slowly but surely, the money increased. I've been paid $1000 for articles, which is pretty good, eh?

Each goal takes time and hard work. You've got to keep trying, keep improving your skill set, and continue to learn the ropes.

If all you want to do is be published for free, that's pretty easy these days with the proliferation of e-zines. If you instead want to be print-published, that's a lot harder, because the publisher has to commit to spending real money to go to print for a magazine or periodical. Even more so for novels, of course. I mean, 1 short story in a compendium of 50 doesn't mean that the publisher is taking a huge monetary risk by including that one story. But a novel is a different level of commitment.

Regardless, setting goals is a good thing. You should do this, if only to challenge yourself.

But don't bite off too much or set your goals unrealistically. We'd all like to be #1 on the NY Times, right? But few will.

However, a more modest goal of just getting published at all, or of selling your writing for real money (even if 50 bucks), is doable.

Primary of all: Don't give up! **

** (However, you may, as a mark of maturity, need to reset your goals a bit lower if needed. If that's done, keep working anyway and then step up those goals a notch after a teeny bit of progress, okay?)

-- 11 Apr 2014, 20:43 --

Regarding goals related to quantity of writing per day, I've found that if I pushed myself to write a specific number of words, the writing was rushed and not of proper quality.

So I reset my goals so that I have a changing target depending on what lies ahead. Maybe I want to go back and review and revise the last 5-6 chapters of my new novel. That's a realistic goal. Or maybe I want to write a certain new sequence (or arc), and that may entail 2 or 3 new chapters. I never set a word count as a goal, ever. But maybe a story arc? Sure.

For a real example, earlier this week I had a particularly difficult transition sequence pending for my new novel in progress. It's the 3rd novel in my series of modern private detective novels. And I had a change of heart for my protagonist regarding someone whom he considered an ally if not a friend. But the friend put a big strain on the relationship by asking my PI protag to do something he didn't want to. So he needs to say "no" in the nicest of ways, and it's difficult for him, in that he genuinely respects the other man. So this "arc" of plot sequence is a major pivot in my novel, sending my PI off into a different direction. And therefore it took me some considerable time developing the mental gyrations that my protag goes through. I succeeded but it took me longer than I'd first estimated.

Nevertheless, this was a specific writing goal and I got it done. Now I can proceed to the next arc in the novel, this time an action-related sequence that I've already outlined. It should take me about 2 days for 3-4 short chapters.

And so on. Hope this helps.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

I'd like to finish my current writing project by mid-June. Overall if I can hit 100-200 pages of prose this year, I'd be happy.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

script, page count isn't a very good indicator due to the variety of formats we may choose. Word count, even if it's an estimate, is the better measure. After all, what may be a page for a MS-Word doc you're writing, maybe with lots of white space so you can easily proof it, is a lot different from book print format, which will be in perhaps 9x12 (called "trade paperback") or for an e-book, pages really don't matter.

For my writing format I use 1.5 line spacing and 12pt Times New Roman, with plenty of nice margins all round.

With that particular format, a couple days ago I reached a fairly good mid-point in my new novel, over 40,000 words and about 120 pages. I can envision my novel being maybe 70-75,000 words minimum. Of course, again, I'm not writing for word count, but for telling the story no matter how many or few words are needed.

That being said, private detective novels tend to be a bit on the short side compared with other mysteries, as they usually have a single major story arc, such as "the PI takes a difficult case and it leads him into hot water" but that's generally told in fewer words than a fantasy thriller, simply because the fantasy takes more words to set up the scenes, as they're totally "cooked up" -- for a PI novel, you've got cars and houses and restaurants and bars and guns and such, all of which are within our normal modern purvey, so no words are needed to tell the reader what a "car" is. But with fantasy, the author needs to provide the background of the "kingdom" and its era, the citizens, clothing and weapons and so on, from scratch. Needs lots more words.

Anyway, I did hit a goal or marker point or whatever, 40,000 solid words, carefully reviewed and edited numerous times.
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

My main goal is to establish a writing routine. I'm all over the place right now. I know a routine would help me complete the many projects simmering in my brain.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I know how you feel, random. I've got other writing projects, a new screenplay I just finished (no agent yet), a couple short stories I've been unsuccessful in selling, an essay on Caesar, another one on Hamlet, a short article for a diocesan bulletin, plus of course being a companion to my live-in girlfriend, and general life as usual, going places and then just laying around, watching Supernatural and Hannibal and Fargo, the usual junk.
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

I have minor goals that are just like write everyday regardless of how long. Then at least I'm getting something done. I also try to finish at least one short story a week.

Major goals would be getting something published! And maybe one day living off of my writing 8)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

random, see what vim just said -- vim has short term goals. If you set huge goals (finish my novel) it's likely you'll get stalled or talk yourself out of the effort (and it does take effort -- writing well is hard!)

The late Robert B. Parker (creator of the Spenser private eye series) set himself the goal to have 5 finished pages per day. That's ambitious -- I write all the time and 2-3 polished and finished pages per day is about my speed. But whatever the goal you set, make it attainable. And make it in small enough "chunks" so that you can achieve those short-term goals.

Now vim's other goals are to be published. I want to emphasize this. Getting published should be the goal of ALL writers!

And by "getting published" I mean that someone else is the publisher, not you, self-publishing e-books or maybe paying some company to do a print run. It's not called "vanity publishing" for nothing.

As a writer, there's NOTHING better than getting a check in the mail that says "Pay to the order of..." (or an electronic deposit these days, the same) for something you've written! Now that check could be for $25 or it could be $1,000 (I've had both), and yeah, absolutely that thousand bucks for an article was gold, real gold to see as an author, no question about it.

But even if it's 25 bucks, it's the same great feeling.

Getting published, and by "getting published" I mean: "Someone publishes your novel or short story or article, and pays you for this" should be the goal of all writers.

This doesn't mean that you get all twitchy and refuse publication of a small essay or short story for which you're "paid" by 10 copies of the magazine. This sort of low-return writing is to be expected. I've got a pal who's a poet -- a good one -- and his "payment" for his last book of poems was being sent 100 copies of the book free, so he could sell them via local stores. And I've had articles and reviews and stuff published where I wasn't paid either. This is okay, so don't get knickers into a knot if that happens as you move up the "food chain" of publishing and marketing your writing.

vim has a goal of actually making a living, supporting himself (or herself) on writing. Well, sure. But everyone knows that is pretty damn hard to achieve. Nevertheless it's a sensible goal and a genuine target.

But in the meantime, work your way up. Try to first get published at all (without YOU being the publisher). Establish a "resume" with a legitimate publishing history, however modest. Hone your craft and continue to market yourself. Learn by doing, and set small, achievable goals along the road.

Per vim's goals, the stepping stones should be: 1- get published even if it's for free, 2- get paid real money for something you've written, and 3- make a living off your writing. Myself, I've been at #2 for several years now, but with my newly finished 3rd novel, I'm querying mainstream agencies and publishers, and have set the goal of making some "real" money this time around.

Regardless the goals, my recommendations are to take things stepwise and set reasonable interim goals.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I want to finish the thid book in my The Mindfl Life: Zen Living trilogy before the end of the year and publish. The first two have been well received...but honestly i am ready to move on to other things. I'll never do a trilogy again.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I want to finish my first novel by the end of the summer. But with my masters dissertation I just don't know how possible that still is
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have two flexible writing goals for day.
1. Write my journal entry for the day. I have a special notebook where I hand write one page per day.
2. Write 1000 words in any story or idea file. Sometimes I allow substitutions for this one. Specifically, editing. If I have a ton of editing to do, I will allow 30 minutes of editing to be substituted for 1000 words of new content.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

ALynn, you've seemed to have set realistic goals, interim progress markers, a very reasonable target.

Myself, I don't have a specific word count, because that can get in the way of either a very productive day or a so-so day. And the real world impinges, too. If my girlfriend and I have dinner plans, for example, the laptop stays shut down. And rightly so.

My targets are therefore flexible, and usually mean that I'm working to finish a difficult chapter, work out a tricky set of mystery clues, or maybe go back and edit / revise the last few chapters. There's no specific word count but instead a flexible and changing goal.

Each writer needs to set a series of goals nevertheless, otherwise nothing ever gets written.

Return to “Writing Discussion”