How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Eboo

Post by suetropez »

I like the advice in your article. I think the hardest thing is finding quality reviewers at a reasonable costs. What is your take on book contests and writing contest to help advertise the book?
Marilyn+
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Marilyn+ »

Thank you for the very interesting article. I am just in the research stage of planning to write an e-book. As an avid reader of e-books I find the lack of thorough editing very distracting to a good book. I only wish you could have expounded further and dove into your views on the similarities or differences between publishing a non-fiction book versus a fiction book.
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

How much would it cost to get a book reviewed by Online Book Club? And are there any other book reviewing places or people that you would recommend?
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

jhmende wrote:How much would it cost to get a book reviewed by Online Book Club? And are there any other book reviewing places or people that you would recommend?
If you're interested, you should start here.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Keith McMullen
Favorite Author: Keith B McMullen Sr
fav_author_id: 47736

Post by Keith McMullen »

My book has been published. I submitted the final draft of my book, that I had saved to my computer, in pdf form for review. It this acceptable?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Keith McMullen wrote:My book has been published. I submitted the final draft of my book, that I had saved to my computer, in pdf form for review. It this acceptable?
Yes, it is. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Keith McMullen
Favorite Author: Keith B McMullen Sr
fav_author_id: 47736

Post by Keith McMullen »

I created an author page on Facebook. Is there any real benefit to me if I spend the money to boost my page? Can this help my sales?

-- 30 Aug 2016, 08:26 --

I have given the local bookstores in my area a free copy of my published book. How long should I wait befor I follow up with them?

-- 31 Aug 2016, 13:00 --

I am a newly published author. Can anyone recommend any recourses that could help me develop my understanding of subplot.
aolivia09

Post by aolivia09 »

Really good article. i constantly go back and forth but I love the options that e-publishing has to offer
MarkWNeville
Currently Reading: Desire for Life
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by MarkWNeville »

Scott, this is a helpful summary of the key points you make in your book, 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book. Thank you!
Max Oberon
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Max Oberon »

Thanks for the great advice. I think that not only do you have to write a great piece and upload it, quite easily, into a platform such as Amazon, the actual promotion of it is critical. I have used Twitter to great effect to build a following, but does that translate into book sales, the answer is not necessarily. As Scott says, if your work is not of the finest quality appealing to your intended market, it's not likely to be promoted by enthusiastic readers. Let's face it, it is a multitude of readers that will create an exponential promotion if our work hits the mark.

I have decided to put a lot of effort into improving my writing so that when I do produce something that 'hits the mark' it is my belief that with a reasonable amount of promotion, the market of readers will take care of the promotion.
Candice717
Currently Reading: French Restoration
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Candice717 »

Great Info for Indie Authors...Thanks so much for providing such a useful info
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I really like the article! Thanks! There are so many ways to promote, and not all of them will work for all authors. I've tried quite a few and was able to narrow it down to 2-3 that seems to work for me the best. Public speaking is always a good option is you don't mind getting in front of people, and can sell the most books, I think.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Emmanuel Cassimatis
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Cassimatis »

As an author I really thank Scott for his article.
Of course writing the book it's just the first step, promotion and reviews are importand and delicate phases as well.
Jsaman

Post by Jsaman »

This is a great article and getting reviews can be tricky. I personally belong to a few different sites that offer honest reviews and am friendly with many bloggers who offer the same. Bloggers are where it's at! Find ones that review in your genre and email them - following their guidelines of course.
Arvind Passey
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Arvind Passey »

Almost everyone has one or more ideas about 'how to' market a book... but no one seems to be telling anyone how 'not to' go about hard-selling your work. I believe that 'shameless marketing' of a book on the social media is one step that puts a reader off buying that book. The social media, and this includes Facebook and Facebook groups, is where an author needs to impress potential readers with his or her writing prowess. Once suitably impressed, the reader will automatically gravitate towards the book written by that author. Simple, isn't it?

Return to “Writing Discussion”