How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: How to Promote Your Independently Published Book or Ebook

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

This is so helpful. I'm not publishing anything at the moment but I would like to in the future and knowing this could help me avoid worry.
TLWoodliff
Currently Reading: No Pit So Deep
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TLWoodliff »

I'm curious how vending has worked for others. This fall, I'll be going to 4 book fairs. The cost of vending is reasonable, but the traveling? Oiy, that's where it gets questionable.
AnnaBell81
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her: The Story of My Husband's Ex Wife
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell81.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris

Post by AnnaBell81 »

Loved this article. I got to tell my mother this information because years ago she wrote a short kids story and things have changed so much she could get it exposed and read for sure!
JD Stanley
Favorite Book: Blood Runner
Currently Reading: The Leyden Papyrus
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by JD Stanley »

Solid info. Especially "Make sure your book is very good", because no amount of promotional know-how can make up for bad writing. Reviews carry great weight and if the story is weak, has characters no one cares about or is filled with distracting errors, the reviews will soon tell the tale and effect your sales.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

This is good stuff! I'm writing my first book, and am already thinking of just how am I to go about publishing it once it's finished. I admit to having had no idea, prepared to do lots of research. This is a great start. Thank you for this informative article.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

A social media account dedicated to your book can really help create a name for yourself. Advertising a books on websites, especially writing and reading websites help as well. It takes a long time to promote, but with enough hard work, you can achieve fame. Of course, your book has to be great as well.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Pattie2002
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pattie2002 »

This was very useful, thank you so much.
Ndehani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ndehani »

Very nice article pretty helpful for me aunty as she wants to promote her book
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

good to know. It's helpful
Yonefura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yonefura.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Yonefura »

This is great and timely information meeting me here. Finally, I get it; the book cover matters, no wonder people judge a book by its cover. It has also to be able to let the reader know what the book is all about in just seconds.
Paul7788

Post by Paul7788 »

I think digital marketing is best way to promote.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

Thank you for writting this post. It's really helpful for beginning writers as I am. I've found lots of new and interesting information that made me think about publishing my books.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Good article informative and blog post and social media post you will get promoted from there.
Elisan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisan.html
Latest Review: Memorie di un consulente di direzione by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Elisan »

Thanks, Scott for this article. It explains the main points about promoting an independently published book.
We don't forget that keywords are very important when someone searches for a book. It's not a promotional activity, but rather a visible one.
Linus admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linus-admin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Linus admin »

Scott, what I like about this post is the honesty. You note that the book must be very good. I think that's a good point. From my time at copy writing advertising I know even the greatest of adverts can sell a bad product only but once. I will re read this post again more carefully now to note down the suggestions.

Return to “Writing Discussion”