Review of The Catacombs of Tarshish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of The Catacombs of Tarshish

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Catacombs of Tarshish" by Mark Norris.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Catacombs of Tarshish by Mark Norris is a work of fiction that tells the story of five men who wanted to have an adventure but instead discovered a more intriguing realm called the supernatural. This changed their course to the redemption and salvation of both the lost and dying souls, orchestrated by the supreme being, which resulted in a great war between two kingdoms. Which of the kingdoms won the battle? Were there any survivors? You will find out in this intriguing story.

Eagan Argyle is one of my favourite characters. He is a great leader with natural intuition, knowing what to say and do in every situation. He's never caught off guard, and his faith is so motivating and encouraging.

Actually, a part of the book did crack my ribs, as I couldn't stop laughing. That was where the waifes were conversing in some sort of language I would term "sour English," and you really need to read that part. The part of the book where people were massacred made me shiver into my bones; I couldn't help it, and the imagination was really scary too.

Funnily enough, the weakest of them was the first to receive a spiritual gift, which was the gift of prophecy, bringing about the Bible passage, "The first shall be the last, and the last will be the first." What a wonder!

Chapter 4 of this book made it known that every talent, no matter how small, is useful. The book is a must-read indeed! On the journey to fulfilling destiny, there will always be some scars. We also learn that spiritual presence inspires and empowers. Not only that, do not celebrate your victory on the battlefield. Chapter 8 sheds more light on the need to have at least one person around to encourage us when the spirit is down, like Grunman did for Argyle when fearful thoughts invaded his spirit. Leaders also need support and care.

In addition, faith is the key. Vision encourages as well; when the mission and vision are known, it's a great fuel for the passion that is required to fulfill their quest, and I got some other tips too, like: be quiet, finish early, and speak slowly. Moreover, it is expedient to not exert much energy on the minor; instead, we reserve and conserve it for the major. The difference is stated in the spirit of discernment. God is the rewarder of men; he knows and sees everyone and everything. They were rewarded for not giving up, for following his instructions, and for trusting him; there is always a reward for everything.

I must commend the author for the thought-provoking effect this book has on the reader, especially in areas where the names of biblical characters were changed. This enables the reader to think quickly while relating the names of the characters to their roles. It also allows for some exercise in deciphering, as in Krystos for Christ and Yahwin for Yahweh. It's a superb and unique concept. I commend the author again for the inclusion of a map and sketches that accompany the narration (even though the sketches were not in every chapter). It would help readers navigate through the story.

For the reasons mentioned above and the fact that I found nothing to dislike in the book, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars. I found a few errors while reading, but these errors did not in any way distract me from enjoying my time with the book. Hence, I would say the book is professionally edited.

This is a very good book for faith development, gifts of the spirit, and the transformation of souls from the ordinary to the extraordinary. It's a book for both teenage and adult Christians who thirst more for the knowledge and experience of the spirit realm, especially when it has to do with the supreme being. It is also for those who want to operate in various dimensions of the spirit. Fiction lovers who do not mind religious themes will also enjoy this book. Not only does this tale excite readers, it also equips them for prayer and spiritual warfare.

The Catacombs of Tarshish
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

From the look of things this book sounds interesting and captivating I love how the reviewer analysis the book. Good job on this book.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

This is an exciting book that talks about the end time, Armageddon and the after effect of rapture. This would be a great read for Christians to spark their hearts and be heaven conscious.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

What an amazing book. I love how these men went on to discover what is incredible even beyond their expectations. Good job on the author.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Eagan Argyle is one of my favourite characters because of his part in the novel. I love how the author futures his personality. Good job.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Merits Anih »

The lessons about faith, leadership, and vision that the reviewer gleaned from the book are valuable. The author's message about the importance of perseverance and trust in God is inspiring.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The part of the book that made the reviewer laugh and the part that made them shiver shows the range of emotions that the book evokes. The reviewer's appreciation for the inclusion of a map and sketches in the book is a nice touch. The reviewer's rating of 5 out of 5 stars reflects their high level of satisfaction with the book.
Michael Browny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

The fact that the reviewer found few errors in the book is a testament to the author's attention to detail. Yourrecommendation of the book for both teenagers and adults shows the broad appeal of the book's themes. Your description of the book as a must-read is a strong endorsement.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by David Offdavis »

The author's ability to incorporate biblical characters and themes in a unique way is commendable. The personal connection with the character Eagan Argyle makes the story even more engaging. The comment about the book being a good resource for spiritual warfare shows its practical value.
Ivy_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-reads.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Ivy_reads »

I would definitely like to read about that language and have a good laugh. Nice review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”