Review of The Pond of Reflection

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of The Pond of Reflection

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pond of Reflection" by Catherine Ann Russell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a certain kingdom, the inhabitants lived in peace and harmony, content with what they had and satisfied with their self-awareness. Their king, called the Great Mouse King, was a responsive and humane leader who believed in self-discovery and being true to one's self. Because of the importance he placed on the nature of the inner self (call it character, personality, or temperament) over outward appearance, he banned the use of mirrors in his kingdom.

Everything was alright until Journee, the king's daughter, became curious and wanted to know how she looked. There was no mirror in the land, following the king's decree. The only way out was to embark on a trip to a mysterious pond called the Pond of Reflection. Obtaining her father's approval and blessings, Journee sets out with a horse named Mr. Steed to locate this pond. On the way, she meets Mr. Toad and Mr. Owl, and the journey becomes not only a search for self-awareness but an adventure that brings about memorable moments, friendships, and lessons on the interconnectedness of all living beings.

The Pond of Reflection, a children's story written by Catherine Ann Russell, is heavy with several positive values and moral lessons. It started with the beauty of good leadership, exemplified by the Great Mouse King, who was portrayed as good, kind, wise, and courageous, and how these values translated to creating a safe society and happy, patriotic citizens. This point is especially important, considering the many crises in the world today where some leaders tend to bully their countrymen into silence, resulting in mass uprisings, and where some societies place more importance on a person's outward appearance and social status than the content of a person's character.

I enjoyed reading the series of events that unfolded following the coming together of Journee, Mr. Steed, Mr. Toad, and Mr. Owl. It was so amazing how a mouse, a horse, a toad, and an owl, all from different species, could come together, respect their traits, and cooperate to achieve a target goal. The story shows the strength in diversity, as can be seen in many of the incidents that happened during this adventure; the benefits of teamwork, as can be seen in the incidents at the Whoami Forest; and just how peaceful and prosperous the world can be if we focus on the things that hold us together rather than what divides us (call it skin color, social status, profession, age, stature, or whatever label).

Also, I appreciated the illustrations; they provided a visual interpretation of some scenes. Furthermore, the "identity swap" scenes were particularly remarkable! The book was well edited as well; I found just one typographical error in it. Overall, I don't have any complaints to mention about this book. I had a great time reading it and am giving it five out of five stars for the invaluable positive values and the intriguing narration of Journee, Mr. Toad, Mr. Steed, and Mr. Owl's adventure to the Pond of Reflection. There is no reason to rate it lower. Readers aged five to eleven should have a memorable experience with this tale.

The Pond of Reflection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

I especially appreciate your point about the importance of good leadership. The Great Mouse King is a wonderful example of a leader who is
good, kind, wise, and courageous. He creates a safe and happy society for his citizens by focusing on the inner self rather than outward appearance.
Madhesh Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Madhesh Kumar »

In "The Pond of Reflection" we meet Princess Journee, who is very curious and has several questions about herself. And that is how she embarks on the magical adventure of self-discovery. On her journey she meets many characters who are essential for Journee to find what she is looking for.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

The place of teaching children how to be good and exemplary leaders cannot be sidestepped. This book did just that through the Great Mouse King. Therefore, it's a book worth reading to children so they can learn good leadership skills. You did a great job with the review.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Maduabuchi Eze wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 10:49 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pond of Reflection" by Catherine Ann Russell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a certain kingdom, the inhabitants lived in peace and harmony, content with what they had and satisfied with their self-awareness. Their king, called the Great Mouse King, was a responsive and humane leader who believed in self-discovery and being true to one's self. Because of the importance he placed on the nature of the inner self (call it character, personality, or temperament) over outward appearance, he banned the use of mirrors in his kingdom.

Everything was alright until Journee, the king's daughter, became curious and wanted to know how she looked. There was no mirror in the land, following the king's decree. The only way out was to embark on a trip to a mysterious pond called the Pond of Reflection. Obtaining her father's approval and blessings, Journee sets out with a horse named Mr. Steed to locate this pond. On the way, she meets Mr. Toad and Mr. Owl, and the journey becomes not only a search for self-awareness but an adventure that brings about memorable moments, friendships, and lessons on the interconnectedness of all living beings.

The Pond of Reflection, a children's story written by Catherine Ann Russell, is heavy with several positive values and moral lessons. It started with the beauty of good leadership, exemplified by the Great Mouse King, who was portrayed as good, kind, wise, and courageous, and how these values translated to creating a safe society and happy, patriotic citizens. This point is especially important, considering the many crises in the world today where some leaders tend to bully their countrymen into silence, resulting in mass uprisings, and where some societies place more importance on a person's outward appearance and social status than the content of a person's character.

I enjoyed reading the series of events that unfolded following the coming together of Journee, Mr. Steed, Mr. Toad, and Mr. Owl. It was so amazing how a mouse, a horse, a toad, and an owl, all from different species, could come together, respect their traits, and cooperate to achieve a target goal. The story shows the strength in diversity, as can be seen in many of the incidents that happened during this adventure; the benefits of teamwork, as can be seen in the incidents at the Whoami Forest; and just how peaceful and prosperous the world can be if we focus on the things that hold us together rather than what divides us (call it skin color, social status, profession, age, stature, or whatever label).

Also, I appreciated the illustrations; they provided a visual interpretation of some scenes. Furthermore, the "identity swap" scenes were particularly remarkable! The book was well edited as well; I found just one typographical error in it. Overall, I don't have any complaints to mention about this book. I had a great time reading it and am giving it five out of five stars for the invaluable positive values and the intriguing narration of Journee, Mr. Toad, Mr. Steed, and Mr. Owl's adventure to the Pond of Reflection. There is no reason to rate it lower. Readers aged five to eleven should have a memorable experience with this tale.

The Pond of Reflection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of "The Pond of Reflection" by Catherine Ann Russell. Your thoughtful analysis provides a clear insight into the book's themes, characters, and overall message.

It's evident that you appreciated the central theme of the importance of inner qualities and self-awareness over outward appearance, as exemplified by the Great Mouse King. In a world where appearances are often emphasized over character, the story's message about the value of good leadership and the impact it has on creating a harmonious society is particularly timely and significant.

Your recognition of the strength in diversity and the benefits of teamwork, as portrayed through the collaboration of characters from different species, underscores the book's message of unity and cooperation. The story's focus on what unites us rather than what divides us is a valuable lesson, especially in today's world.

I'm glad to hear that you appreciated the illustrations and found them to enhance your reading experience. Your mention of the "identity swap" scenes as remarkable and your positive comments on the book's editing quality highlight the attention to detail in the book's production.

Your 5-star rating and recommendation for readers aged five to eleven are a strong endorsement for "The Pond of Reflection." Your review provides a well-rounded perspective on the book's positive values and engaging narrative, making it easier for potential readers to understand its merits. Thank you for sharing your insights and your enthusiasm for this children's story!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”