Review of The Irish Skateboard Club

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: How to “Stop Sucking at Life” by J.W. Smith

Review of The Irish Skateboard Club

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Irish Skateboard Club" by Brinn Colenda.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Michael Anthony Callahan is a young lad growing up in Albuquerque. His family is well endowed with prominent and very successful figures. All the adults have something to pride themselves in and have done their fair share of making the world a better place. Michael wants to be a snowboarder, which sounds like a letdown to his family. Bigger things were expected from him, considering his background. This puts the young man in an identity crisis, not to mention that he was adopted. He, therefore, chooses to change the scenery and move to Ireland to try and reconnect with his 'roots' and find his true identity. Little does he know much more lies in store for him.

The Irish Skateboard Club by Brinn Colenda is an action-packed thriller. When Russians are involved, you can inevitably expect to have action go down. Michael finds himself in a pickle and has to decide the best course of action. This situation escalates when his friend Ciara finds herself in the crossfire. Will he achieve his target of finding his identity? What will his confrontation with the Russian Mafia lead him to? Is he biting more than he can chew? Read the book to find out.

This novel starts with action from its onset. It maintains the momentum and even gets more thrilling in the middle when the real action unleashes. I loved Michael's character most. He is a humble gentleman who values humanity before anything else. For someone from a well-established and influential family, it can be easy to get carried away, but he derives pleasure from the simple things in life and treats everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of their background and social status. He is indeed a good role model, and the author did a commendable job sculpting his character.

I appreciated the book's role in creating awareness about modern-day slavery. The book goes the extra mile to show that the traffickers can be those near us; consequently, we should be extra vigilant. It is a real issue that deserves attention, and I loved that about the book.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. It is filled with themes such as romance, organized crime, wars, and vengeance. The book also has a perfect amount of suspense and elements of surprise.

The storyline and the pace earned it a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend the book to lovers of action. Young adults may find this book inspirational, especially those who love skateboarding and snowboarding.

The Irish Skateboard Club
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”