Review of H.O.E Hustle Over Everything

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of H.O.E Hustle Over Everything

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "H.O.E Hustle Over Everything" by Samantha Camel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

H.O.E.: Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel is a gut-wrenching memoir about adversity, self-sabotage, life choices, and self-discovery. Readers follow as Camel details her life and how her determination changed how her life played out.

In the beginning, readers meet Samantha’s mother and the many issues she has. Camel describes her home life as chaotic and unstructured. Julia, Sam’s mother, was a drug addict and master manipulator. Readers follow along as Samantha grows up to make her own choices. We watch Samantha self-sabotage, make bad life choices, and follow a dark path. Camel’s life was full of doubt, violence, teen pregnancy, drug addiction, and neglect. Camel’s novel shows how someone can come from nothing and fight to the top. Sam states in her novel, “I’m not a victim, I’m a survivor… and it’s still hustle over everything.".

I enjoyed following the good and bad parts of Sam's life. I am not a reader who typically enjoys memoirs, but I loved the writing style and the message behind it. The novel relies heavily on freedom of choice and puts Camel’s life into perspective by breaking down each choice she makes and why. I found this to be an empowering novel of hope, determination, and immense strength.

The subject material in this book was heavy, but the writing style downplayed it so that I wasn't overwhelmed by the context of it all. The writing was down-to-earth and easy to follow. The entire novel felt like listening to the life story of a friend.

I would recommend this to readers over the age of 18 who have experienced trauma or have overcome trauma. The powerful message in this book is for anyone looking to feel inspired or empowered.

Overall, H.O.E.: Hustle Over Everything is an engaging memoir that pulls readers into the life of Samantha Camel and describes how choices affect the future. I can confidently rate this 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend you pick it up as well as a few boxes of tissues.

H.O.E Hustle Over Everything
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
reginakingola2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by reginakingola2 »

Ho,yes this book is remiding me of my past were i used to see that kind of life , But we can over come and we have a freedom to choose and over come that kind of truma .
Carlebastra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Carlebastra »

"H.O.E - Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel is a brilliant testament to relentless determination, echoing the resilience we all need in life. It's a symphony of ambition and grit, inspiring us to chase our dreams relentlessly. Samantha's artistry shines brightly, reminding us that no matter the obstacles, our hustle can triumph.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Kaylyn_Marie wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:12 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "H.O.E Hustle Over Everything" by Samantha Camel.]

In the beginning, readers meet Samantha’s mother and the many issues she has. Camel describes her home life as chaotic and unstructured. Julia, Sam’s mother, was a drug addict and master manipulator. Readers follow along as Samantha grows up to make her own choices. We watch Samantha self-sabotage, make bad life choices, and follow a dark path. Camel’s life was full of doubt, violence, teen pregnancy, drug addiction, and neglect. Camel’s novel shows how someone can come from nothing and fight to the top. Sam states in her novel, “I’m not a victim, I’m a survivor… and it’s still hustle over everything.".

I am not a reader who typically enjoys memoirs, but I loved the writing style and the message behind it. The novel relies heavily on freedom of choice and puts Camel’s life into perspective by breaking down each choice she makes and why. I found this to be an empowering novel of hope, determination, and immense strength.
I also am not someone who typically enjoys memoirs, but your review 'almost' has me convinced :wink: Like you said, it does sound like a bit of a heavy read, but it also has an inspiring feel to it. I enjoy stories of triumph and the journey of anyone resembling an underdog, so to speak. I particularly like that this author chose to break down these life choices and why. I enjoyed your review, thanks so much for sharing!
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Like Cara said above, I'm glad you mentioned that the heavy subject matter is presented in an easy writing style. I'm in two minds about reading this, especially as I've just finished Relieved, which was similar in many ways. Memoirs can be hit and miss; this one sounds like the latter, and your review has certainly placed it higher on my list than it was.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”