Review of The Pit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Deception by Loretta Enright

Review of The Pit

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pit" by Aimee Perkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When in high school, everyone is excited about their yearly grade trip. Teachers, students, and parents alike almost always look forward to it. No one ever expects anything bad to happen. I mean, how wrong could a school trip possibly go? Believe me, it can go very wrong. Just read The Pit by Aimee Perkins to learn just how horribly things can turn out.

During my time reading, I found myself very much enjoying the author’s writing style. I was constantly engaged in the story, and I couldn’t wait to see what was coming next. I thought the concept of the story was creative and very enticing. Watching school kids trying to navigate their way through what was surely the most difficult thing they’d ever experienced was exceptionally captivating.

However, I do have a few criticisms. I liked the idea of reading this story through the different perspectives of the kids, but I found it difficult to know whose perspective it was at times, as it was written from the third-person point of view. I believe it would have been easier to follow had it been told in the first person. I also did not know that Eliza and JB were the same person until I was about two-thirds of the way into the book. The author definitely could have done a better job of explaining that to the audience and differentiating between the characters. She also could have written more about each child’s emotions during their time down in the pit. I don’t believe I ever knew exactly how they were feeling at any time.

Despite my complaints, I did still enjoy the book. The plot was well-thought-out and very intriguing, and I loved watching how everyone handled things differently. Unfortunately, it could have used another round of editing, as I found numerous errors. So, for the reasons above, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to those typically drawn to novels with a slight thriller aspect, as well as young adult readers who enjoy stories about people similar in age to them. It is not suitable for younger readers, as there is some strong language included throughout.

The Pit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jessica Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Jessica Azuka »

Wow... The book has an intriguing cover page. And relating to the plot, did the students encounter something like that fiery pit on their school trip? I can't wait to find out. Amazing review.
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

"The Pit" by Aimee Perkins sounds like a thrilling read with its unique concept and engaging storytelling. The exploration of how students navigate through a difficult situation is indeed captivating. However, your points about the third-person perspective and character differentiation are valid. It's essential to fully understand and connect with each character's emotions in such a story. Despite its flaws and need for further editing, it's good to know that the plot kept you intrigued. This book seems like a good recommendation for those who enjoy young adult thrillers.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”