Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Captive in Algiers is an interesting book written by AJ Lewis. The book revolves around Ettore, an enthusiastic, energetic, rugged, and unscrupulous young boy who lives in a disorderly house and works as a tourist guide to survive. Ettore, a street guy from Amalfi, Italy, has two friends named Paul and Bruno, who accompany him as tourist guides. One day, Ettore and his companions get lost at sea during a tour due to relentless wind, waves, thick fog, and rain. Their situation worsens when they are apprehended by the Barbery Pilate and sold into slavery. What will happen to Ettore and his companions? How will he survive as a captive in Algiers? Find out in this book.

When I delved into the narrative, A Captive in Algiers thrilled me and completely overwhelmed me with its story. The author intelligently portrays life's profound intuition, making the book remarkable. The vivid descriptions of various scenes in the book heightened my affinity for the story. For instance, Ettore's strong determination and his aspiration to be like Muhammad Amalfi greatly resonated with me. I learned that we never know who we will meet or how they will help transform our lives, so we must always remain positive and never give up.

I appreciate how the author vividly described the events, allowing readers to feel as if they were present. I was captivated when Ettore and his friends encountered a severe storm at sea during their tour. I felt deep sympathy as they endured waves of nausea, stale and putrid air, numbness, and stiffness caused by the storm.

Every scene in the book was fascinating and immersive, making me connect with the characters' emotions and sentiments. I have no reservations about the book and therefore give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars for its powerful and exemplary storytelling. The book was professionally edited and pleasantly referenced.

With its engaging story and captivating scenes, A Captive in Algiers is a book I highly recommend, especially to young adults aspiring to greatness in life and to those who enjoy intriguing stories.

A Captive in Algiers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

I am a fan of historical fiction and the plot of this books seems like that which I would enjoy. I can only imagine how it is to be sold into slavery and the challenges that come with each day. Wonderful review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Alright, we never know who we will meet, and how they will impact in our lives. It seems that the story of Ettore and his friends are very dangerous, considering they lost in the sea facing great storm. This book sounds intriguing. I like your interesting review, Prince!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Collins Umunnakwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-umunnakwe.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Collins Umunnakwe »

I really wonder how Ettore and his companions fared as I am a fan of historical fiction. A straight to the point review, I must say
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

The author's storytelling and well-developed characters is captivating and compelling. I love your narrative about the book and you gave a concise information. Would love to try this book. Nice review.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

The whole concept of this book sounds interesting to me and it has a nice plot. I could feel the energy and enthusiasm you felt while reading this book from your review, and I'm encouraged to try out this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Well, Ettore has been through a lot if I do say so myself. At first, he was barely surviving, using his job as a tour guide to make ends meet. Then, during that same job, he's whisked away by the wind and has his vision clouded by the fog. And as if that's still not enough he's captured and used as a slave. That's a lot of adventure. It seems like a nice book.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Robert Andrew »

The protagonist, Ettore, comes across as a complex and intriguing character, with his enthusiasm, energy, and determination to survive despite challenging circumstances. The fact that he works as a tourist guide to make ends meet adds depth to his character, showcasing his resourcefulness and adaptability in a disorderly environment.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This boom seems like a captivating and emotionally resonant book that captivates readers with its engaging plot and well-developed characters. It promises to be a memorable and thought-provoking read that explores themes of survival, friendship, and the power of perseverance.
Susan John Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-john-peter.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Susan John Peter »

The unexpected turn of events when Ettore and his companions get lost at sea during a tour and are subsequently apprehended and sold into slavery in Algiers adds a sense of suspense and danger to the narrative. The hardships they face as captives in Algiers promise a gripping and emotional tale of survival and resilience.
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

"I learned that we never know who we will meet or how they will help transform our lives, so we must always remain positive and never give up." That's a very solid lesson right there
Ardita O Hajdari
Favorite Author: Ismail Kadare
Favorite Book: A Captive in Algiers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
fav_author_id: 6388

Post by Ardita O Hajdari »

a very beautiful story. since I studied history. a large part of the countries where they were part of the colonial divisions of Africa, the divisions of the Balkan countries. gaining independence, the exchange of population, the religious aspect, etc., brought drama. separation, emigration, dissatisfaction, etc. so the character elaborates the historical part of the past and the present so beautifully from the beginning. the connection of generations and the effort to find its roots. etc. etc. because I am reading this book.... thank you!
Last edited by Ardita O Hajdari on 09 Aug 2023, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

The mention of vivid descriptions and the resonance with Ettore's determination and aspirations add a personal touch to the review. It highlights the book's ability to inspire and connect with readers on a deeper level.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The ability of a book to make readers connect emotionally with its character is a reflecting of a great writing skill manifested by the author. As interesting as the plot seems, the relatable is the most sought-after grail for me in books. Well done for a well descriptive review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Sounds like a nice book to read, with the vivid descriptions of various scenes, the positive message of not giving up hope. I wonder if Ettore will get out of the slavery situation.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”