Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amita Shyam kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Amita Shyam kumar »

The review for this book has definitely created curiosity and excitement in me to read the book.
As the review says, this book shows the perception of us in difficult times and how we overcome those. Want to know how the protagonist survive his challenges? It was also mentioned how the random people we meet become so important and change our lives , which is so true . I am always fascinated to adventurous stories, and love to read out to my little ones, so this is going to be our next book
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I loved books about pirates while I was growing up. This seems like an exciting coming-of-age adventure that will take me back to my childhood. Thank you!
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

It’s always a treat to come across a well written and absorbing historical novel. I first noticed the cover: orange is always striking and here it’s particularly relevant having the tones and warmth of the Sahara Desert.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Dive into the harrowing adventure of 'A Captive in Algiers' by AJ Lewis. A gripping tale of survival, friendship, and resilience set against the backdrop of the tumultuous sea and the unknown lands of Algiers. A must-read for those who relish historical adventures. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Fatola Fatai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Fatola Fatai »

The setup of Ettore and his friends getting lost at sea and captured by Barbary pirates sets the stage for what sounds like an exciting and suspense-filled adventure. Adding it to my "to read" list.
Emia Scala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Emia Scala »

The book seems to be very immersive and intriguing. I like the setting of the story as I am an enthusiast of history and of Amalfi :D

I believe the book has a strong valuable moral at its end, which will leave the reader with some good lessons on life. Identity, fidelity, friendship are values that I deeply resonate with and therefore I will surely immerse myself in this book soon.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Captive in Algiers by A.J. Lewis is an absorbing novel about a young street boy named Ettore who hails from Amalfi, Italy and inhabits a disorderly house and earns his living as a tour guide. During one of the trips with his friends, Paul and Bruno in dangerous sea tour they got lost due to unrelenting wind, waves, dense fog, and rain. Things turn worse for them when they are captured by Barbary pirates and sold into slavery. The setting also includes vibrant explanations such as the determination of Ettore to be like Muhammad Amalfi which resonates with readers. Additionally, the book advocates for positive attitude always because we never know who we will meet or how they will impact our lives.

Author’s vivid description of events make reader feel present too. Some of them even go through sicknesses like nausea, stale air in cabins while others numbness, stiffness. Book is filled with captivation that makes readers become emotionally involved with characters’ feelings.

The book deserved 5 stars rating for its powerful storytelling skills that are highly commendable by every reader around the globe.It was professionally edited and very well referenced indeed.A Captive in Algiersis highly recommended for young adults who aspire to achieve something great in their lives as well as those who enjoy thrilling tales.
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

I'm really fascinated after reading the summary of “A Captive in Algiers” by AJ Lewis! The story follows Ettore, an orphan who perseveres through tremendous hardships in a society that seems indifferent to his struggles.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Captive in Algiers by A.J. Lewis is an absorbing novel about a young street boy named Ettore who hails from Amalfi, Italy and inhabits a disorderly house and earns his living as a tour guide. During one of the trips with his friends, Paul and Bruno in dangerous sea tour they got lost due to unrelenting wind, waves, dense fog, and rain. Things turn worse for them when they are captured by Barbary pirates and sold into slavery. The setting also includes vibrant explanations such as the determination of Ettore to be like Muhammad Amalfi which resonates with readers. Additionally, the book advocates for positive attitude always because we never know who we will meet or how they will impact our lives.

Author’s vivid description of events make reader feel present too. Some of them even go through sicknesses like nausea, stale air in cabins while others numbness, stiffness. Book is filled with captivation that makes readers become emotionally involved with characters’ feelings.

The book deserved 5 stars rating for its powerful storytelling skills that are highly commendable by every reader around the globe.It was professionally edited and very well referenced indeed.A Captive in Algiersis highly recommended for young adults who aspire to achieve something great in their lives as well as those who enjoy thrilling tales.
thegeekydame
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegeekydame.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
2024 Reading Goal: 45
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by thegeekydame »

After reading the sample of the book, I could tell through the writing that the author has a lot of enthusiasm and passion for their story. I have added this to my to-be-read list and look forward to seeing how the story unfolds.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The book explores the complexities of growing up as an orphan in 17th-century Algiers. Although set in the past, the book remains relevant as it depicts an orphan's search for identity. The adventure and topics are ideal for young adults.
Singh Wolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-wolf.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Singh Wolf »

Thank you for sharing this thoughtful and engaging review of "A Captive in Algiers"! It sounds like a truly captivating story that takes the reader on a wild journey, filled with vivid descriptions, relatable characters, and profound insights. The author's ability to portray the depth and complexity of human intuition is truly commendable.

Your personal connection to the story is inspiring, and I can feel your enthusiasm and appreciation for the book's powerful messaging. The lessons that Ettore learns about perseverance and the importance of staying positive in the face of adversity are timeless and valuable for readers of all ages.

It's also wonderful to hear that the book is professionally edited and well-referenced, which adds to its overall quality and appeal. I fully agree that this book is a must-read for young adults seeking inspiration and motivation, as well as for anyone who enjoys a thrilling and engaging story.

Thank you for sharing your insights and enthusiasm for this book. I hope other readers are inspired to pick up a copy of "A Captive in Algiers"!
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

The review of "A Captive in Algiers" is incredibly engaging and thorough. Its vivid descriptions and insightful analysis make readers eager to delve into the book themselves. Thank you for this great review, and congratulations on being BOTD!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

The book "A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis tells the story of Ettore, a troublesome boy looking for trouble, and how he fell into captivity and was sold along with two of his companions as slaves in Algiers. Through this story, he teaches us how to be patient and face difficulties and not give in or surrender. Good review :tiphat:
my regards
BasseyAkpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basseyakpan.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by BasseyAkpan »

Ettore became a captive but was later sold into slavery. He had two friends Paul and Bruno but their fate will now be determined by their slave master. The three fellows were victims of a turbulent sea. Originally from Amalfi, Italy, he name a captive in Algiers were he went for fun seeking.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”