Review of A Captive in Algiers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ronnah Kabashabe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review of A Captive in Algiers

Post by Ronnah Kabashabe »

The author has successfully shade light on the story that began as an abduction and enslavement and surprisingly made it admirable. Following the success of his great ancestors which further proves that one can achieve greatness regardless of the origin.
Incredible writing
Okewunmi Tobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-tobi.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
2024 Reading Goal: 70
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Okewunmi Tobi »

This is an amazing novel, it's a suspenseful and thrilling one. This novel revolves around Ettore and his two friends Paul and Bruno, and how they work as tourist guides but unfortunately something happens that leads them into slavery. To uncover that, I recommend that you check this out Congrats on BOTD!
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

"A Captive in Algiers" by AJ Lewis sounds like a wonderful historical read. The fact that he works as a tourist guide to make ends meet adds depth to his character, showcasing his resourcefulness and adaptability in a poor environment. Then while doing his job as a tourist guide on a ship, they become lost at sea because of a great storm. Ultimately, they are captured by Pilates and made slaves. I'll have to read the rest of this book with the rest of you to find out what becomes of Ettore and his friends. Nice review, it got me to change my mind on whether I would put this book on my list or not and obviously I did. Congrats to the author for BOTD. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

:tiphat:
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

As a captive, Ettore would have to be extremely resourceful just to survive. This would be a nice book on determination and pure zest. Congrats on botd!!
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Ronnah Kabashabe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnah Kabashabe »

I appreciate the job well done by the author full of pride for his ancestry regardless of how they ended up in their current state.
This book is a great take on history and how slavery affected most people provided the protagonist was abducted from his job as a tourist guide.
I will take my time to complete the book because I have been captivated.... impressive
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The review is well written. Book One in the Mystery Series by AJ Lewis . Story of survival and struggle.Young men lost in the sea,and taken as slaves. How they will chang and what will be their fate. The book is intense and would be an interesting read. Congrats on BOTD
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Bakhlia Hidayatullah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bakhlia Hidayatullah »

Since every scene in this book was fascinating, then i'll enjoy this book a lot. I mean i am a fan of historic fiction and this book has all that i love.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find out how Ettore and his friends Paul and Bruno will escape from slavery and Barbery Pilate in Algiers. It seemed to be a suspenseful adventure.
MARTHA UGOCHI ASOGWA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-ugochi-asogwa.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by MARTHA UGOCHI ASOGWA »

The review suggests that the book imparts valuable lessons about the unpredictability of life and the impact of chance encounters on shaping our destinies. This theme of interconnectedness and the power of human connections is woven throughout the narrative, leaving readers with a sense of reflection and introspection. Nice review.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

I'm struck by the resilience portrayed by Ettore and his companions in the face of such adversity. It sounds like a gripping narrative that not only entertains but also offers valuable lessons about perseverance and the unpredictability of life's twists and turns.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

Wow.. that sounds like a lot of adventure. Itseems to offer a compelling narrative and vivid descriptions of various scenes in the story. I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but after reading the review, I think this book is worth a try. Thank you for your insightful and enthusiastic review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: A Captive in Algiers' by A J Lewis delves deep into the entertaining features of the historical fiction story. The reactions to the book provided by the reviewer were interesting to follow. The point that the book revolves around an enthusiastic, energetic, rugged, and unscrupulous young boy who lives in a disorderly house and works as a tourist guide to survive is worth mentioning in the review. Readers would remark that the author intelligently portrays life's profound intuition. Also, as mentioned in the review, we feel deep sympathy as Ettore and his friends endure nausea, stale and putrid air, numbness, and stiffness caused by the storm. The book imparts us the lesson that we must always remain positive because we never know who we will meet or how they will help transform our lives!
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

An intriguing story where Ettore demonstrates the power of determination and never giving up when adverse circumstances make us doubt of our capacities and untapped potential. Will Ettore come out strong and wise or will he come out weak and hopeless or maybe somewhere in between?
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Jason's Magic Journeys by Sylvia Hebden

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

The capacity of a book to evoke emotional connections with its characters reflects exceptional writing skill. This book seems like a compelling read.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I love historical fiction, and this is an area that doesn’t get much face time in books or TV/film. However, I appreciate the author’s family connection to the piece and his search for the truth of the past.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”