Review of Because they said so!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Because they said so!

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Because they said so!" by Joy A Woods Turlington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Young minds are easily influenced by all sorts of energies, be they positive or negative. Unlike most adults, situations like conflicts and bullying can have devastating impacts on their lives, damaging their self-esteem, worldviews, aspirations, and even social interactions. In her book, Because They Said So!: Ways to Manage Conflict for Young Adults, Joy Woods-Turlington offers readers a whole lot of insights to help them manage and resolve these issues.

I found a good number of the tips quite insightful and impactful, especially the ones on conflict management. It's really helpful that young adults know just the right thing to do in any given situation, as whatever side they pick will either make or mar them. Also impressive is the notable remark on the various challenges young adults might be having and the individualized avenues through which they might attempt to seek help or solace. In this case, the importance of parents paying close attention to their children, not only in their physical but also online lives, is highlighted.

The comments on some social issues were thought-provoking, especially on the issue of gun violence. And then, there are incredibly well-thought-out guides on self-preservation and interpersonal relationships, which I'm confident will help the readers reconnect with their inner selves, build healthy spaces, and invent themselves into a version they can be proud of. There are also hints on the providence of higher powers, which should be comfortable for all readers, irrespective of their religious inclinations, as there is nothing preachy or offensive to any particular religion.

But then, the book's formatting is poor. There is a lot of unnecessary space here and there. Also, I had to look closely to figure out the end of each discourse and the beginning of another. Increasing the font size of the titles, starting each title on a fresh page (some were not), and, maybe, bolding the titles should fix this issue. Furthermore, there is no caption for the introductory note after the table of contents. Again, in the table of contents, "What do you want me to do?" comes before "Because they said so!" but the reverse was the case on the body of the book. I initially thought the former was omitted until I was done reading the latter. I am removing two stars for these issues and giving this book 3 out of 5 stars.

On a lighter note, I think the editing is impressive. There are just a few grammatical and typographical errors in the book. Because They Said So!: Ways to Manage Conflict for Young Adults is recommended for readers between the ages of ten and eighteen.

Because they said so!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Because They Said So!: Ways to Manage Conflict for Young Adults" by Joy Woods-Turlington is a valuable resource for young adults navigating the complexities of conflict and bullying
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by williams Emerald »

Your recommendation for readers between the ages of ten and eighteen provides helpful guidance for parents and educators looking for resources to support young adults through conflicts and personal growth. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”