Review of JJ and Frijolito

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of JJ and Frijolito

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "JJ and Frijolito" by Victoria Cepeda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

JJ and Frijolito by Victoria Cepeda follows the story of a boy named JJ who is on the autism spectrum. He and his mother, Mrs. V, share a close relationship with his mom. From the time JJ was young, he had issues with symptoms of autism spectrum disorder including a hard time adapting to changes in daily routines and having a hard time getting along with children. His mom is always protective of him. Throughout the story, JJ continuously has a dream of a dog and begs his mother to get him a dog.

The story is also a point of view of Frijolito, a stray dog from the Dominican Republic. He is later picked by a tourist, Mrs. Lydia who takes him to her other pets. Unfortunately, Mrs. Lydia falls sick and must give her pets away, including Frijolito. Firijolito is sent to a pound, which he later escapes hopping from alley to alley. The story continues from the dual point of view of JJ and Fritolito and we see how their story brings them together.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. What I loved about this book is the bond between JJ and his mother Ms. V. When it comes to having a child with autism spectrum disorder, you must be patient with them and understand that they learn differently and may need some assistance. JJ and Mrs. V's bond is unmatched, and you can tell that their loves keep them going and gives each other strength. One thing I would change about this book is having more details about JJ and Frijolito’s bond. However, I still enjoyed the read. I would recommend this book to children aged 8 and up and to parents and educators who want to read a lighthearted story and learn about children on the autism spectrum. The book is well-edited with no errors.

JJ and Frijolito
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomi Ahmed
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

JJ and Frijolito by Victoria Cepeda sounds like a heartfelt and inspiring story. The dual perspectives of JJ and the stray dog, Frijolito, are intriguing, and I appreciate how the author addresses important themes like autism and the bond between a boy and his dog. I'm looking forward to reading how their journeys intertwine.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

This is a beautiful story.
Love and compassion, I believe, have the power to transform any dark and difficult circumstances.
The "bond between JJ and his mother, Ms. V." Is admirable. I also appreciate the story of JJ and Frijolito( this name has a nice ring to it 😀) and how the author shows how their respective journeys eventually connect them. With Frijolito being a stray dog and JJ being on the autism spectrum, I am left with curiosity about how simply soulful and rewarding this connection served each of them.
Animals and nature are so therapeutic!
Congratulations to the author for this beautiful story, and thank you for a heartfelt review.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

What makes this review interesting is its focus on the heartwarming bond between JJ, a boy on the autism spectrum, and his mother, highlighting the challenges and strengths they face together. Additionally, the dual perspective of JJ and Frijolito, a stray dog, adds depth to the narrative, making it a compelling read for both children and adults.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

The autism Spectrum is becoming more common and it affects one speech and social interaction. Writing about it is really courageous. I loved your review
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

It looks like unique blending of having dog dream and finally having a dog. The empathetic journey, the Austim kids life routine and their parents compassion is highlighted. Good review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”