Review of The Local Legend of Iron River

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Cusick by Philip Amortila

Review of The Local Legend of Iron River

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Local Legend of Iron River" by William Mierzejewski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Liam is a 10-year-old boy who spends his holidays at his grandparents’ lake house in Michigan—along with his parents and younger sister, Boo. One night during these holidays, Liam hears howling and sees a pair of evil, yellow eyes outside his bedroom window. He tells his father about this, but the latter dismisses it as a nightmare. Many months have passed, and Liam has tried to move on from what he had seen that night. On Columbus Day weekend, he returns to the lake house with his family and some friends for the holiday. However, things are different now in the seemingly sleepy town of Iron River. With their neighbor, a retired cop and experienced hunter, missing after going on a hunting trip, the quaint town seems to hold secrets, and Liam is once more reminded of those horrible yellow eyes. What did Liam see? Who is responsible for the disappearances and attacks? The Local Legend of Iron River by William Mierzejewski holds the answers!

I enjoyed this book. I was immediately intrigued from the start as I was curious to learn what was happening in the once-peaceful town of Iron River. I had many suspects of who the culprit was, and it was fun racing to the end of the book to see if my prediction was correct. Mierzejewski noted that fans of Goosebumps would enjoy this book, and I couldn’t agree more! Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Goosebumps books, which was one of the reasons I was eager to read this book. Like its counterpart, The Local Legend of Iron River is heart-pounding with its horror, adventure, and paranormal themes. There are also violent and gory scenes. Mierzejewski definitely does not hold back with these scenes.

Unfortunately, this book had some issues, which led to my reduced rating. There were many errors, showing that it would greatly benefit from another round of editing. Also, there were times when the author wrongly used the first-person narrative. The story was told using the third-person, but there were times when the author suddenly switched to using Liam’s first-person narrative, which was distracting. As a result of these issues, I removed a star, giving The Local Legend of Iron River by William Mierzejewski a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

The Local Legend of Iron River
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can’t decide whether I would like to read this book or not. The horror and adventure themes make me want to, but I am not so sure about the paranormal. Thanks!
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Joshua Sawders »

The review provides an intriguing overview of "The Local Legend of Iron River" by William Mierzejewski. Despite some issues with errors and inconsistent narrative perspective, the book seems to be an enjoyable read, particularly for fans of Goosebumps. The mix of horror, adventure, and paranormal themes creates a thrilling atmosphere. However, readers should be aware that there are violent and gory scenes. Overall, it appears to be a good choice for those seeking an exciting and suspenseful book. Unpredictable plot twists, kept me guessing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”