Howl's Moving Castle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Re: Howl's Moving Castle

Post by KitKat_Reader »

My friend and I love the movie and when she said there was a book of it, I was beyond the moon excited. I'm really not sure which one I like better as for me at least they both have their pros and cons. I lean more towards the movie cause I find Howl's tantrum to be very visually appealing and funny, but the book I feel gives more of an inside look into Sophie's character which I appreciate.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
shannonmakes
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonmakes.html

Post by shannonmakes »

wow - i'm with everyone else. i had nooo idea this was a book as well as a movie! I loved howl's moving castle, and most every other ghibli movie. definitely going to check the book out!
Ericaflowers6238
Currently Reading: The Mansion's Twins
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericaflowers6238.html

Post by Ericaflowers6238 »

I actually did not know that this was a book either before I found it at the book store a few years ago. I have always loved the movie and I was excited to find out that it was a book too! The best part of the story to me, was that Howl loved Sophie for who she was on the inside rather than her outward appearance. His ability to look past her exterior allowed him to see past her curse and see the person she truly was. Also, she was able to look past his exterior of a monster and still love him even when he was terrifying. I admire the heart that was put into this story, and I adore the message of inner beauty that this story conveys.
BeH2reads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by BeH2reads »

OH, My favorite movie of all time, and my Favorite Book too. when i found out that is was a book i not only read it ,I also read Castle in the Air, book 2, and then when Book 3 came out i got that too. so i have the full series. i love both book and movie and see them as two separate stories. I've read Howls moving castle 3 times, and I'm about to start again. :D :D :D
smurfette2580
Currently Reading: How to Win at Feminism
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smurfette2580.html

Post by smurfette2580 »

I've been thinking about reading this. Thanks for the review!
Kimmagus
Currently Reading: An Abundance of Katherines
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmagus.html

Post by Kimmagus »

Absolutely love this book and the movie. I've seen the movie so many times I don't even get tired of it. Also very excited to read the next to books.
CapriceM
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricem.html

Post by CapriceM »

I had no idea that Howl's Moving Castle was a book! I'm amazed and definitely going to put that on my reading list ? I can't wait.
TamSan
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsan.html

Post by TamSan »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!! This is a book too?? it was such great movie! Oh, i need to go find this book. Thank you for letting us all know!!!
Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. -Max Ehermann
KacieLW
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kacielw.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by KacieLW »

I love this book! I have read it twice now and I definitely see myself reading it again in the future. I also noticed new things the second time that I read it and I am hoping that happens more when I pick it up again. I read this book after watching the movie and I loved all the extra detail I got to explore while reading it.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
acartothemoon

Post by acartothemoon »

Rating: 4/5 :techie-studyingbrown:

Howl’s moving castle is a fantasy novel, that takes you through the journey of Sophie, the eldest of her sisters and the less unfortunate, who has been cursed to become an old lady by the Witch of the Waste, a curse that can be removed by the Wizard Howl who lives in his moving castle and whom Sophie has to put up with in order to find a way out of her misfortune.
The book is meant for children, but as C.S. Lewis said: “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest “. Howl’s moving castle is a fantastic and enjoyable read , with Diana Wynne Jones writing style , and an unstoppable imagination , she has succeeded in transporting me to the world she gave birth to , through the details , the action the unusual events and customs of it .
While being lost in that world, you’ll understand one more time the power of good children’s stories, and the reason why Hayao Miyazaki was so charmed by it that he turned it to another marvelous piece of work, though it’s quite different from the book but still mesmerizing in its own way.
I do recommend, Howl’s moving castle as a-must-read and a-must-watch, not only for children but for adults too.
AvidR3ader

Post by AvidR3ader »

I have to read this!! The movie was so artistically put together, I bet the book is even better. :)
Reba911
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 822
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reba911.html

Post by Reba911 »

I can't tell you how many times I've watched this movie. I love it to pieces. However, I have not yet been able to read the book. My book list is several miles long XD. I really want to read this book and I have a feeling that it will be one of my favorites, just like the movie. (Although like any book vs movie, I know the book will be much different).
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Tami216- »

Howls moving castle is such a cute book! It's so much fun to read because it's lighthearted even while the characters are getting into danger. It's so imaginative and interesting and the characters are very likable.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
paniboruta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paniboruta.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by paniboruta »

:D It is an amazing book! It also has two sequels! I really enjoyed them as well!
autumnicicle914

Post by autumnicicle914 »

I read this book long before watching the movie in my seventh grade English class! I was a bigger fan of the book, even though at that time I was big on anime like movies and tv shows.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”