Official Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unhinged" by Steve Galley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For as long as he could remember, Eddie has had an ongoing battle with the “Hunter.” That’s the name he’s given to the voice of despair and depression constantly whispering disparaging words and soul-crushing comments in his mind. On the outside, Eddie seems to have it all together; athletic, loved by girls, adored by his younger brother Trent, bad at math, supportive circle of friends, and even gets to date his crush. But sometimes, the brightest smiles hide the greatest pain. On the inside, the “Monster inside his head” is tearing him apart at the seams.

Unhinged is a story with a mental health awareness theme that I am convinced will resonate with teens and young adults. Like many people, young and old, Eddie tries to battle his demons on his own. Multiple real-life experiences have proven time and again that depression and anxiety are serious health problems. The author, Steve Galley, highlights the fact that seeking professional help for mental health issues is very important. Just as one cannot wish away physical illness, mental illness also cannot be ignored into oblivion. Having a support system is essential too. Various fun activities with his friends provided Eddie with a few cherished moments of escape.

The setting is in modern-day Canada, and the main characters are teenage high-schoolers. The author’s descriptions of the places and people are very realistic and relatable. Dysfunctional families, teens struggling to fit in with their peers, struggling to get good grades despite so many personal and home issues, making mistakes and feeling overwhelmed by them, the list goes on. Plus, I loved the ending.

Perhaps what I loved the most about this book was the fact that I could reconcile most of the issues the characters faced with issues both myself and the people around me face. From Eddie’s friend Jess and her problems with her no-good boyfriend Jimmy, to Rob, who Eddie looks up to, but who has problems of his own too. I also appreciated the celebration of friendships. Eddie’s best support system were his friends and girlfriend. It’s a refreshing opposite to the tired old narrative of bad friends leading the protagonist down the path of ruin.

There is some very mild swearing in this book, and very few grammar errors. However, I still think it deserves all 4 out of 4 stars, and that’s my rating. Lest I forget, did I mention teenagers and young adults?

*Publisher's Note: Based on this review, the book was edited to remove the swears and correct the few grammar errors.
Unhinged
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Mental illness is rarely given the attention it deserves. Most persons think the sufferers are making it up because they seem fine on the outside. I'm glad Eddie found solace in his tribe of friends. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love that there is a name to this "alter ego" of depression. This sounds like it could be quite powerful and useful as so many go through what Eddie went through. This would be especially great for young adults who sometimes don't feel like they can trust their parents or teachers. Thanks so much! Great book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think it's great that there are books out there aimed at teenagers and young adults that address mental illness and the need to get help for it. So many teens think it's only them, that people will think they are weird, that no one can help. Books that let them see they are not alone are some of the most powerful out there. I am glad this book exists and that it was done so well.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has a creative way of talking about a sensitive subject. I like the different ways that the book suggests to help combat depression and anxiety. Your enthusiasm for the book is making me want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

It’s hard to find an accurate depiction of
mental illness that isn’t glorified or romanticized. I’m glad the author was able to make such a relatable story that might help people who are dealing with depression or anxiety. I’ll have to read this one. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I think this is a great and important book. I agree that authors often use friends as antagonist making them bad, I'm glad this book celebrates friendship. Excellent review.

p.s. I love your profile pic
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

This sounds like a book that young adults need to read. When talking about mental illnesses in books, it is important that they demonstrate things like support systems, which it sounds like this book does well.
~Roxie~
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

A book I can relate to from personal experience. Your review accurately depicts the experiences from a young adult's point of view. The author has obviously done a good job going by your enthusiasm. Thanks
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Depression isn't a subject I like to read about, so I'll pass on this one, although it is important to have books like this to help with mental health awareness. Great review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Mental health in teenagers is an important issue I don't think we touch on enough. That Eddie has "monsters" in his head is a clear warning sign and I'm glad the author decided to tackle this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

This book sounds like a powerful book. I was intrigued with the title. Thanks for the well-written review!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Very timely for this book to be out in the market. There are numbers of personalities who suffers for depression. Hope they can use this book a guide to handle such. Experts on this field should consider this material for added info. But in the end, only God can help the most. Just always pray. Very nice review. Thanks.
TheAshedPhoenix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theashedphoenix.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by TheAshedPhoenix »

Times like this require a positive handling approach and I am glad the writers are shedding light on the draped up issues that don't get managed well in the real-world. Miles away from the generic hero-villain conflict, the readership certainly yearns for known yet new content like this. Thank you for such an extensive review. :)
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by FelDee »

I feel like we have read two different books. I found the premise of the book to be great, but I found how the author addressed depression was very 2D and as someone that has suffered from depression and anxiety as a teenager I couldn't relate to this book at all.
Question did you happen to notice the huge plot hole in chapter 15?

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”