The Giver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Calliekins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Giver

Post by Calliekins »

We had to read this book my freshman year, and I never really could get myself lost in it. It could easily be because I never really enjoyed being assigned to read a specific book in school, therefore if I read it now on my own, my opinion could change. It just felt like a chore to read it, and I didn't really comprehend anything I read because I didn't want to because it bored me.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

Calliekins wrote:We had to read this book my freshman year, and I never really could get myself lost in it. It could easily be because I never really enjoyed being assigned to read a specific book in school, therefore if I read it now on my own, my opinion could change. It just felt like a chore to read it, and I didn't really comprehend anything I read because I didn't want to because it bored me.
I recommend you try reading it again. I've re-read books now that I'm out of school and I've enjoyed them.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
Yessiree27
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yessiree27.html

Post by Yessiree27 »

The Giver is a story of utopia. The community was built in a "perfect system" where there were no pains, inconvenience, and worries. It is supposed to be "perfect" in a sense that people who do not belong in the same community would have a field trip to see how people thrive on a day to day basis. It's a thought provoking story about morals and ethics. Their system seems great at first glance. Everyone has a family chosen for each one. Everyone's career is decided upon based on their strengths. Everyone thrives on uniformity. Everyone seems to accept the system which they were accustomed to. Yet, the Giver has to manage dealing with issues that ordinary member of their society would rather not. Aging members who weren't productive anymore were eliminated. The issue of multiple births is also decided upon through what they perceive is best based on physical characteristics. In their desire to create perfection, they have failed to understand the complexity of life. I think this is a great story for discussion about the value of life, morality, and philosophy.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Definitely a great book, very well written, but I'm not sure if I actually liked it. I read it in middle school for class, and I remember feeling sad every time we read it. There were certain aspects that were just terrifying to me; but I guess that's the point of dystopian fiction, isn't it? Like I said, it was very well written; it left me thoroughly disturbed.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html

Post by aparsons »

Yessiree27 wrote:The Giver is a story of utopia. The community was built in a "perfect system" where there were no pains, inconvenience, and worries. It is supposed to be "perfect" in a sense that people who do not belong in the same community would have a field trip to see how people thrive on a day to day basis. It's a thought provoking story about morals and ethics. Their system seems great at first glance. Everyone has a family chosen for each one. Everyone's career is decided upon based on their strengths. Everyone thrives on uniformity. Everyone seems to accept the system which they were accustomed to. Yet, the Giver has to manage dealing with issues that ordinary member of their society would rather not. Aging members who weren't productive anymore were eliminated. The issue of multiple births is also decided upon through what they perceive is best based on physical characteristics. In their desire to create perfection, they have failed to understand the complexity of life. I think this is a great story for discussion about the value of life, morality, and philosophy.
I don't know if i cant agree that this is a story about Utopia. We don't know everything behind the government system and economics. We see this book from Jonas' point of view, who is a child, but there is very little hints to what started the drugging system to keep the population in thrall. We know that they are an isolated community, but we know there is still technology somewhere not accessible to the normal folks. I suppose this can be a utopia from an insider's point of view, but from an outsiders, this can be considered a circle of Hell.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Shelby Fryar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-fryar.html

Post by Shelby Fryar »

The Giver was an amazing book! The characters in this book were developed to a point that it left some things questionable at times, leaving the readers in the dark at times. That goes to give the book a mystery feeling. Everything that is put into the book makes the readers feel like they're completely in a different world. There are three books that were written after The Giver, they give a lot more perspective on the first book, helping answer some questions that the reader had after the first book.
Mcbookpersonisuppose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcbookpersonisuppose.html

Post by Mcbookpersonisuppose »

This book took an outlook on dystopia society that I hadn't seen before, and that in itself made it worth reading. The main character learned a lot along the way and his own internal struggles made me wonder if I would've done the same. The ending was a bit clipped but I think it really adds to the story, because you don't just give something like that a happy ending. It takes away from the story. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Lhall80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall80.html

Post by Lhall80 »

I also loved this book. If you have read The Giver and have not continued on with the remainder of the series I would really suggest reading the other three (Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son). Reading the whole series brings everything full circle and it amazed me how each of the characters featured in each book came together.
I am a big re-reader when I find a book or series I love and I have definitely read this series more than a couple times. :D
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Lhall80 wrote:I also loved this book. If you have read The Giver and have not continued on with the remainder of the series I would really suggest reading the other three (Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son). Reading the whole series brings everything full circle and it amazed me how each of the characters featured in each book came together.
I am a big re-reader when I find a book or series I love and I have definitely read this series more than a couple times. :D

I agree that reading the entire series brings it all together. I had read The Giver when I was in school and remembered liking it, so last year I picked up all of the books and read them. It is a great series, and definitely worth reading.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Yessiree27 wrote:The Giver is a story of utopia. The community was built in a "perfect system" where there were no pains, inconvenience, and worries. It is supposed to be "perfect" in a sense that people who do not belong in the same community would have a field trip to see how people thrive on a day to day basis. It's a thought provoking story about morals and ethics. Their system seems great at first glance. Everyone has a family chosen for each one. Everyone's career is decided upon based on their strengths. Everyone thrives on uniformity. Everyone seems to accept the system which they were accustomed to. Yet, the Giver has to manage dealing with issues that ordinary member of their society would rather not. Aging members who weren't productive anymore were eliminated. The issue of multiple births is also decided upon through what they perceive is best based on physical characteristics. In their desire to create perfection, they have failed to understand the complexity of life. I think this is a great story for discussion about the value of life, morality, and philosophy.

Sounds like a great read.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
michalla94

Post by michalla94 »

I first read The Giver when I was a freshman in High School, and I loved it! It definitely is worth the read and now that I'm an adult, I went out and purchased my own copy that I plan on sharing with my daughter when she is old enough.
sidhikat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidhikat.html

Post by sidhikat »

The Giver is one of my favorite books because it was so ahead of its time. The ending might seem strange, but reading the other books in the series definitely added to my love of this book!
Eloagent

Post by Eloagent »

Always loved the giver it is such a great book, good for school and for kids to read. The whole society is colorless is fascinating and the character is so well done. spoiler: does he die in the snow? I could never figure that out lol
using-my-words
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-using-my-words.html

Post by using-my-words »

I haven't read the book again in a long time - I read it frequently in elementary and middle school and was so fascinated with the idea and the story. It's very dark for a book that's read by elementary-age children! There were quite a few twists that I didn't expect. This thread has made me want to reread it. (:
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I've read some dystopian novels like The Hunger Games and Divergent series but i have yet to read this one. I read great reviews about this book and i also liked the film adaptation. Needless to say, i'm looking forward to reading this book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”