The Giver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1420
fav_author_id: 33385

Re: The Giver

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

Yes, I agree it is a nice and enlightening book, although a bit slow at times.
midlightangel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midlightangel.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by midlightangel »

This book is amazing and I absolutely love the way the ending was set up. The best part about this book is everyone views it differently. There's no set or expected perspectives ❤️❤️❤️
jaymecarruthers
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaymecarruthers.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by jaymecarruthers »

I won't lie to you, I didn't read this book until my first year of teaching when I read it with my 7th graders. I thought it was a great book. It confused me a little because the second and third books in the series have NOTHING to do with the first one. Then, the final book pulls it all together, which made things a little better. This is actually a book I'd like to re-read.
Loren-KoCam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loren-KoCam »

I first read the french version of this book in 9th grade and loved it. It was the first book of this genre of dystopian literature I ever read and it was a great introduction into this kind of reading. It was easy to understand and to follow, once you start reading it you feel the need to finish. I have yet to watch the film adaptation, I'm hoping it'll stay true to the original story.
aikopup
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aikopup.html

Post by aikopup »

The story was very interesting but it seems like it could have been told with half the pages, which ironically enough could have been used to make the ending make more sense. Each memory was full of details, but the ending left me wanting more clarity. Some of the plot regarding "the releasing" was very predictable. I feel that in many ways, the synopsis on the jacket did as good of job telling the story as the 179 pages within.
Bookworm16
Currently Reading: Bossypants
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bookworm16 »

I was assigned to read this book years ago when I was in 4th grade and it left such a lasting impression. I felt that this book had such a great premise and this other world they lived in was so interesting to me. When they made the movie recently I was so excited to see how they brought it to light. As usual the book was ten times better but I think the did a decent job with the movie. For someone who has never read the book however I think th movie could of been a bit confusing. I think I might go back and reread the book again. And there was the three other books that followed it gathering blue, the messenger and then son.
AvidR3ader

Post by AvidR3ader »

This book alone is a work of art in its self. The series is even better. It ties together so many great concepts and ideas. Such a great read.
Bryt11

Post by Bryt11 »

I really like dystopian/post apocalyptic stories so this one was right up my alley. I thought it was an excellent read, it was one of those books I had a hard time putting down. I also loved how each book in the series seemed so different, but were all tied together in the end.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Georgia wrote:I read this book recently for the first time, and was completely blown away. It sucked me in and until I felt like I was watching the events instead of reading them. The ending was a little weird - I'm still not sure if it was metaphorical or not. I had no idea that it was part of a trilogy, so I'm going to read the rest!
There's actually four books in the series. I really enjoyed the book as well and I have read both the second and third books. I can't wait to get a chance to read the fourth book!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
choward150
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choward150.html
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by choward150 »

This book was a definite mind blower. Reading it as a child was very different, perspective wise versus reading it now. I can now see and grasp the real world concept it portrayed.
Lustrious-Librarian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lustrious-librarian.html

Post by Lustrious-Librarian »

The Giver is part of a 4 book series. The end does leave you unsure and your're really not sure how they other books in the series connect until you get to the end of book 3.

However, The Giver by Lois Lowery is one of my most favorite books of all time. It is a classic in the genre of dystopian society. It clearly outlines the age old question: Would you rather have truth and beauty or happiness and stability?

Many people (especially my students) often answer truth and beauty as soon as I ask but I tell them think - what is we gave up colors to make sure no one ever went hungry? That stops to make them think a little more,
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I remember reading The Giver in grade school, or at least I think that's when I read it because I can't exactly remember. I absolutely loved the book and I've read it multiple times since then.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
PedanticAF
Currently Reading: Uglies
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pedanticaf.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by PedanticAF »

I read this book in third grade and I enjoyed it so much, then I read it again in 6th grade and enjoyed it again, such an interesting take on Dystopian novels. It was one of my favorite books for years.
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html

Post by Tami216- »

The Giver is so unique and really thought provoking. The theme is so multi-layered and profound and the story grips you until the last page. I was really moved by it, it defines the world on a whole different level.
MsJMentions
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msjmentions.html
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Post by MsJMentions »

I absolutely loved this book. I'm not quite sure whose idiotic idea the new movie was though...that was worse than I expected.
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”