The Giver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CassiCox
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Giver

Post by CassiCox »

Lately, I have found myself in a post-apocolyptic/dystopian phase, so this book appealed to me a lot. Obviously, I have read 1984 and I enjoyed it, and the book The Giver is another older book (I believe 1994) that preceded the current onslaught of dystopian novels. This one is set in a society where the society selects a person's career choice- the main character in this book, Jonas, is assigned the prestigious career of the Reciever of MemoryIn this society, they have converted to sameness, where everything and everyone is relatively "same" as a result, Jonah is expected to recieve and live with/store all the memories of tragedy throughout the entire history of time- he has to endure the memories of horrible tragedies, war, torture, death...everything. His role is also to make recommendations to others in leadership positions, including those involving the sending of people "elsewhere" if they are not thriving within the community.
rachel-reads

Post by rachel-reads »

This book is a great one! I recently finished reading it and loved it! It is just such a different take on life, and it is very interesting how Lois Lowry can twist your point of view. I would highly recommend this book for Elementary aged kids, and adults too!
Defiantly worth your time and effort to read!
CassiCox

Post by CassiCox »

I did find the end a bit off putting, because it seemed to "leave you hanging" a bit- you weren't entirely sure what happened.
rachel-reads

Post by rachel-reads »

Yes. I totally agree. I was a little sad after that ending too.
Caitlin Eliza
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlin-eliza.html

Post by Caitlin Eliza »

The first time I read this book was in middle school, and I loved it so much that I have read it several times since. Each time it takes on more meaning, probably because of my increasing maturity and understanding (with each reading). I would highly recommend it, along with the other two books in the trilogy.
julieg25
Favorite Author: Jk Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Currently Reading: My Sisters Keeper Widows Watch
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julieg25.html
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein

Post by julieg25 »

This is a good book. I read it when I was in 5th grade. During my senior year of high school, we performed The Giver. It was a great experience to be a part of.
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein
Georgia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia.html

Post by Georgia »

I read this book recently for the first time, and was completely blown away. It sucked me in and until I felt like I was watching the events instead of reading them. The ending was a little weird - I'm still not sure if it was metaphorical or not. I had no idea that it was part of a trilogy, so I'm going to read the rest!
makenahulme

Post by makenahulme »

The Giver is an amazing book that whisks you away into another world and makes you ponder your beliefs.
Derek Moore

Post by Derek Moore »

The found the Giver to be an extremely well crafted story that had something that the current onslaught of dystopian novels seem to be missing.
AnonymousPen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonymouspen.html

Post by AnonymousPen »

I read this book in a few hours. It hooked me. Truly amazing book. I heard it's part of a series. I haven't read any of the other books.
laura_askew88
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-askew88.html
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman

Post by laura_askew88 »

I love the size of this book. Once you start you can't put it down, but it doesn't ruin your whole day making you do nothing. i read this in high school and often reread it when I'm bored.

-- 01 Sep 2013, 19:01 --

I love the size of this book. Once you start you can't put it down, but it doesn't ruin your whole day making you do nothing. i read this in high school and often reread it when I'm bored.
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman
nwatk004
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwatk004.html

Post by nwatk004 »

I picked this book up on a whim, since I'm always curious as to what qualities do winners of the Newberry Medal have. As I started to read the book, I couldn't put it down. It was this fascinating dystopian society with characters that pulled at your heart strings. The ending was perfect. The author allows you to interpret what happens to the main character yourself.
prican11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prican11.html

Post by prican11 »

For anyone who found the ending to be a bit off putting the author wrote several books within that universe. Gathering blue is the sort of sequel to the Giver and I found it to really add some flesh to the original world. It was, of course, still disturbing but I think it was a necessary read after the original book. I just found out that there are two more books in the series and I will definitely be reading the rest of them.
kassie_2000
Favorite Author: Kelly Link
Favorite Book: Tinkers
Currently Reading: Black Swan Green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassie-2000.html
fav_author_id: 5517

Post by kassie_2000 »

This book had such a strong effect on me when I read it in 6th grade. It was one of the first dystopian/post-apocalyptic books I read, and I've been reading them ever since!
professors_wife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-professors-wife.html

Post by professors_wife »

I have recently read the Divergent series, currently reading the Maze Runner series, of course read the Hunger Games and I thought about this book just yesterday and now I absolutely have to reread it. I love Lois Lowry.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”