Anyone totally obsessed with 'Just One Day' by Gayle Forman???

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Anyone totally obsessed with 'Just One Day' by Gayle Forman???

Post by Strangeminds »

I just finished reading 'Just one Day' by Gayle Forman. I was totally obsessed with the book. It's the story of a high school graduate named Allyson who meets a guy named Willem on a European Teen Tour and though she usually doesn't make such a random decision, she decides to go to Paris with him, a complete stranger who calls her 'lulu'. She falls in love with him and it gives her a new sense of freedom she'd never experienced in her life. The one day in Paris along with Willem broadens her horizons. And though she decides to spend one more day with him, fate drives them apart.

The Allyson that returns home after the trip is a new Allyson. She is not contempt with the usual university life and she feels unhappy about losing Willem. And so after so many months of confusion and depression, she slowly starts accepting the way she is. She musters the courage to change her courses and even go on a trip to Paris to find her lost love. Since her parents didn't support her, she started working to earn money to learn french and for the tickets. Though she lost friends, she gradually gains them back.

The second time in Paris puts unexpected people and incidents in her path and they all become dear to her. She gains new friemdships, experience warm incidents of kindness from strangers and learns to enjoy life. Towards the end of the story, the readers along with Allyson realises that the journey was already a success even if she didnt find Willem. The journey had taught her much greater things. And so even when she finds out much unexpected truths about Willem, she doesn't feel despair. She knows that she had found herself and that that mattered the most. I really loved the book and totally recommend it. It is the journey of a young girl finding herself in a world of chaos. And Im pretty sure that most young girls out there can very much relate to Allyson.

Anyone else loved the book??
samjj89
Currently Reading: Sunset Beach
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samjj89.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by samjj89 »

I absolutely loved this book! I was instantly captivated by this story. If you loved this story, you should check out the next book in the series entitled Just One Year.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Clearly this was a book that you really enjoyed. I haven't read it but I read other books by the author, "If I Stay" and "Where She Went." Sometimes the pacing dragged at times but both were good love stories. I like how flashbacks are used to add depth to the story.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Strangeminds
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

samjj89 wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:33 I absolutely loved this book! I was instantly captivated by this story. If you loved this story, you should check out the next book in the series entitled Just One Year.
Thanks for the recommendation. I woul love to read it.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

samjj89 wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:33 I absolutely loved this book! I was instantly captivated by this story. If you loved this story, you should check out the next book in the series entitled Just One Year.
I agree with you.A great book to read.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Me! I love, love, love this book so much! It's actually one of the books that got me really hooked on reading. Gayle Forman writes so beautifully and I want more books from her!
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Strangeminds

Post by Strangeminds »

dianaterrado wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 01:48 Me! I love, love, love this book so much! It's actually one of the books that got me really hooked on reading. Gayle Forman writes so beautifully and I want more books from her!
Oh! That's so great!! I got really emotionally involved with the storyline and the characters while reading it. I guess that's one of the reasons why I love it so much!! Glad to hear that you love it too!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”