Official Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wonks" by William Reese Hamilton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the Japanese Imperial Army unleashes its wrath on Allied forces in Manila during World War II, twelve-year-old Johnny and his mother find themselves imprisoned in an internment camp. With his father missing, presumed to be fighting the Japanese nearby, Johnny faces an uncertain future. Also in the camp are other civilians. Harry is a family friend whose stories provide relief and entertainment in an otherwise oppressive situation. Southy, a father figure, helps him hone his fighting skills. There is also Polecat, a street-smart youngster whose disdain for the “Japs” is palpable and enticing. As the war rages on in the Pacific, fear and misery sweep through the camp as they wait for the Allies to liberate them.

This narrative is told through the eyes of young Johnny, and this is what sets it apart from other books on the subject. While other novels focus on the historical aspects of the war, Wonks, by William Reese Hamilton, centers on the thoughts and experiences of this American adolescent. Little is written about American maneuvering strategy or the implications of liberation on Allied progression. What is written is what is important to a preteen; some examples include the different kinds of marbles, fascination with low-flying aircraft, and recovered war trophies. In one scene, one of the boys asks, “What happened to her arm?” This made me laugh because I believe that is actually what someone that age would ask.

The best part of this book is the voice. Given that this is a young adult book, it has a specific audience, and the author’s tone and character development work perfectly for his intended readers. Hamilton’s skilled and astute choice of words and phrasing effectively capture the emotions and points of view of the characters. The boys’ youthful phrases and insight provide a unique perspective into the monotony, anguish, and perpetual turmoil the boys face daily in the camp. Witty humor, adolescent sarcasm, and hefty doses of real emotion are sprinkled throughout each chapter. While there is abuse, torment, and a shortage of food, there are also different kinds of marbles, boxing lessons, and baseball. In the dawn of adulthood, Johnny wrestles with many questions. How many will die before help arrives? Will he survive? What has become of his father?

There is nothing I would change about the book. There is a harmonious balance between character development and plot, and although readers know the camp will eventually be liberated, there are many twists and turns that are markedly unexpected. Additionally, the book is professionally edited and contains no errors. For the crafty use of voice, engaging plot, and characterization, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Wonks is an emotionally charged tale of one boy’s experience in a war camp at the hands of a ruthless and formidable enemy. I highly recommend this book to young adults who do not mind a moderate dose of profanity, which actually made it more realistic. It should also be noted that there are some descriptions of violence associated with the perils of war. This is not a light read, and it is not for people who are looking for a historical fiction novel with a lot of background information. Overall, this is a well-written narrative that will leave readers with a unique insight into the effects World War II has had on youth.

Wonks
View: on Bookshelves
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

I love the fact that the book centers on the adolescent. It shows how great and deep the target audience can benefit from the author's industry. Great review!
Finakaranja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finakaranja.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Finakaranja »

Great work! It gives a really good background of what to expect when reading the book and also captures the reader's attention. Based off this review, I definitely want to read this book.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Michael40 wrote: 26 May 2020, 04:47 I love the fact that the book centers on the adolescent. It shows how great and deep the target audience can benefit from the author's industry. Great review!
Thank you! It's easy to forget that they also have deep feelings and think differently than we do.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Finakaranja wrote: 26 May 2020, 05:09 Great work! It gives a really good background of what to expect when reading the book and also captures the reader's attention. Based off this review, I definitely want to read this book.
Thank you! Definitely a different perspective!
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

I love the idea of not making the book about the war ongoing but the author centred more on the characters and how the war affected them.

Nice write up by the reviewer. He made me see reasons to love the storytelling style.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

WWII as seen through the eyes of a twelve year old-- what a unique concept! I can only imagine the thoughts and fears of a young boy in such a situation! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It is rare to find historical fiction books beyond world war II set in Europe. I like that fact and that it is a hard-hitting book. However, I'm recently more reluctant to pick up young adult books. Thank you for this informative review. Good job.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I agree with you that a story about war told from the perspective of a young person would be so different than other war stories. The story will be unique and refreshing as a result.
Thanks for this wonderful review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

As my father was imprisoned in a Japanese war camp in Indonesia, I have heard plenty of stories about the camps and the cruelty of the Japanese guards. I wonder if the author wrote this book based on his own experiences (or of a family member).
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This book is an emotionally charged tale of a boy’s experience in a war camp at the hands of a ruthless and formidable enemy. Wow thats an amazing topic addressed through a different perspective.
The review is awesome.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a book about a young boy who is taken prisoner during world war 2. It’s a story of hope. Congratulations BOTD!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

It is rare to see a book about the impact war has on a child. The fear he must have felt when he and his mother are placed in a war camp and not knowing where his father is. This is an intriguing book. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

As someone from the Philippines, this book intrigued me. The author grew up in the Philippines so this gives credibility to the book. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting coming-of-age story deeply tied to a defining period of the world's recent history, as it tells of the impact of war on youth. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”