Official Review: The Alaskan by Bill Burrows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Alaskan by Bill Burrows

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alaskan" by Bill Burrows.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Alaskan is a young adult novel by Bill Burrows. Having been homeschooled his entire life, Jake leaves his secluded cabin to stay with family and begin his senior year of high school in Fairbanks, Alaska. Jake knows all about hunting, boating, and living off the grid in rural Alaska, but navigating an overcrowded high school in an actual town brings on a new set of challenges. Fortunately, Jake is able to quickly make friends with Julie and Kenny. Unfortunately, young Kenny is the local bullies’ current victim, and Jake and Julie become their next target when the two older teens stand up for him. As the day that should have been fun turns into a nightmare, Jake risks exposing a secret that could further change his life.

The Alaskan is a quick read that most young adults can enjoy, regardless of how much prior knowledge you have of the subject matter. The book contains a surprisingly large amount of information about hunting, operating a boat, fishing, and so on. I’m not so knowledgeable about any of these things, so these parts dragged on a bit for me. However, I found that they were relevant to the story in order to show Jake’s knowledge in these areas. I could be impressed with his skills while also learning a little something new in the process.

Life in Alaska is quite different from life elsewhere in the USA, and I feel like this part of the country is highly under-represented in modern American literature. It was nice to read a book with such a unique setting, which also introduced me to a slightly different culture as a result. You certainly wouldn’t hear anyone talking about moose hunting and gill netting in the cafeteria of my own suburban high school in Tennessee, much less an urban high school in California or New York.

The biggest downside to this book was the poor writing quality. I don’t believe that it was even run through a spell-checker, much less professionally edited. Most errors consist of missing or misplaced punctuation marks, but these errors were frequent enough to disrupt my reading fluency. What really threw me off was coming across characters’ names which were spelled differently. For example, the bully of the story is named Sonny. I am still not quite sure what his last name is, because it was inconsistently spelled Johannson, Johansson, and Johannsen throughout the book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the cute development of friendship between Jake and Julie, as well as their dramatic adventure together as they stood up against Kenny’s bullies. I just couldn’t give it a perfect rating due to the large number of errors throughout the book. With some editing and proofreading, this could be an excellent book with a unique cast and setting. I would definitely recommend the book to young adult readers who enjoy action and outdoor adventure with a little bit of innocent teen romance.

The Alaskan
View: on Bookshelves
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

This sounds a good book and with the authors other round of editing and proof reading it would be the best. Nice review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Sounds like a cute story. Alaska is beautiful and you are right about it being under-represented in literature. Everything else in this book seems to be in order so let's hope that they'll do a second round of editing... thanks for a nice review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I definitely agree with you that Alaska is misrepresented in American literature, so I’m glad to see this book bridging that gap a bit. It’s really unfortunate that the author didn’t really choose to edit their manuscript, though; that can really affect your impression of the book. I have to say, though, the book cover threw me for a loop. Just based on the cover, I was thinking that this was going to be an adult romance book. Hahah. It has that wind-swept look to it. I was surprised to hear that it was a young adult book. Very interesting choice. Good job on your review!
Khalifa jaymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98

Post by Khalifa jaymore »

"The Alaskan is a quick read that most young adults can enjoy, regardless of how much prior knowledge you have of the subject matter." Everything else in this book seems to be in order so let's hope that they'll do a second round of editing.!
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

It's a shame that the author didn't edit this book well. The topic sounds really fun. It's nice that there is so much information about topics the reader might not know about as well. Thanks for such an informative review.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

Personally, I prefer YA books that contain elements of fantasy and mythology. I'm not much of an outdoor-type, so I don't think this would be the book for me. Your review is well-written though! Thank you :)
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Thanks for a great review! Your honesty is appreciated!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like places which remain uninfluenced by modern trappings so this one about Alaska promises to be a great read. Thanks for the nice review.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! Not going to lie the cover was giving me more adult novel kind of vibes. I hope the author rectifies the editing issues, this seems like a really great book.
Nutan Kumar Jangid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nutan Kumar Jangid »

:geek2: The Alaskan is cute story . But this book is not correctly edited by the author . it would be more enjoyable for adults.he should use right mythology to understand easily for people.
blancaelizondo214
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blancaelizondo214 »

Love it I love it
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the review. It's been a while I haven't read such a novel. Would definitely read it someday.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”