Official Review: Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key" by Alex Hiam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Silent Lee lives with her Aunt Generous, as her mother travels for work. One day, though, her mother takes Silent away to live with her cousins because her aunt is sick. After her aunt dies suddenly, Silent faces a life with the cousins, the attic being her bedroom. However, Sie (pronounced like pie) gets a note from her aunt stating that she isn't dead; she's merely being held captive. Sie must investigate. Along the way, she meets a meddlesome boy named Raahi who would like nothing more than to help. Will Sie and Raahi find Aunt Generous?

From the first page, Alex Hiam drew me into Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key. This young adult fiction consists of around 120 pages and is a quick read. Some of the vocabulary is advanced, the word exigent for example. However, the book would still be suitable for middle school to high school children, as there is no profanity or adult content.

Magic is a key component of the story, but this isn't simply a magical book. Silent attends the "Girl’s Academy of Latin and Alchemy—“GALA” for short." Her world is much more simplistic than ours; so, when she must rescue Aunt Generous in the modern world, she gets confused. This created some fun and educational moments.

The little personal touches from the author were my favorite element. For example, Mr. Hiam gives a brief introduction as to what magic is. At the end, he tells us that the places in the book are real. These unique elements made the book more intimate.

In addition, I enjoyed the characters. Sie is standoffish at first, especially when it comes to Raahi. Still, Raahi is persistent, and he makes a great foil for her. Silent's mother is the typical evil villain. Of note, too, is the fact that there's diversity in the book. Raahi's mother is Indian, and Silent is not the usual Caucasian protagonist, which was refreshing and educational for the younger reader. As well, unlike many authors, Mr. Hiam helps the reader know how to pronounce the names. Look how he educates the reader on Raahi's name. “Oh, sorry! I’m Raahi. ‘Rah-hee.’"

Furthermore, while most of the major plot arcs are wrapped up, there is room for a sequel. In fact, the author includes a bonus chapter from Silent Lee and the Oxford Adventure. If incomplete details irritate you, it might be best to skip this.

In summary, I highly enjoyed this book. There were only a few errors and no negative aspects. Therefore, I give Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all ages, including adults, who enjoy clean, magical adventures. I can't wait to read more about Sie!

Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I hope aunty Generous is found. Such funny names. Silent and Generous. Beautiful review.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This book has sprinkles of magic, humor, and mystery. I think lots of teenagers would find this entertaining. Thanks for a great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

It's fascinating to see that the author was able to embed so much adventure in just 120 pages. Thanks for the honest review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

It sounds a little cheesy to me, but I like that the author offers the way to pronounce the main character's names. That is really smart. I've read one too many books where the main characters name was SO hard to pronounce! Good review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Adanna Inya wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 02:58 I hope aunty Generous is found. Such funny names. Silent and Generous. Beautiful review.
Yes! The names were a wonderful addition to the book that children would love. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

espo wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 05:06 This book has sprinkles of magic, humor, and mystery. I think lots of teenagers would find this entertaining. Thanks for a great review!
I'm an adult, and I found it interesting. It's a bit simplistic, but everyone should read a nice, simple book from time to time. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 08:46 It's fascinating to see that the author was able to embed so much adventure in just 120 pages. Thanks for the honest review.
It's a short read, but it was so fun! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Samwisekoop wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 12:51 It sounds a little cheesy to me, but I like that the author offers the way to pronounce the main character's names. That is really smart. I've read one too many books where the main characters name was SO hard to pronounce! Good review!
The author was quite brilliant in how he presents everything. It may sound cheesy, but it's not. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I can definitely imagine my pre-teen self gobbling this up. Ah, who am I kidding? I would read this today! I love that it’s a quick, clean read filled with magic, fun, and good representation. The names are sweet and inventive, and I love the mystery aspect. The cover art definitely promotes the book well, and it fits its genre, which is so important! Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sirbobthewise wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 20:39 I can definitely imagine my pre-teen self gobbling this up. Ah, who am I kidding? I would read this today! I love that it’s a quick, clean read filled with magic, fun, and good representation. The names are sweet and inventive, and I love the mystery aspect. The cover art definitely promotes the book well, and it fits its genre, which is so important! Great review!
I can tell that you would LOVE this! I hope you find time to read it. I'm already looking forward to the next in the series. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Prince Chime »

I would like to know if Sie and Raahi found Aunt Generous? I think I kinda like the names used for the characters sounds a bit unconventional. Good review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would love a magical adventure for a summer read! I like how the author established the relationship between Silent and her aunt before throwing out the curveball that she isn't really dead! This sounds like a real page-turner. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prince Chime wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 16:17 I would like to know if Sie and Raahi found Aunt Generous? I think I kinda like the names used for the characters sounds a bit unconventional. Good review.
Yes, the character names were quite interesting and fun! I hope you can find time to read and enjoy the book! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 17:34 I would love a magical adventure for a summer read! I like how the author established the relationship between Silent and her aunt before throwing out the curveball that she isn't really dead! This sounds like a real page-turner. Thanks for the recommendation!
This would be a fabulous summer read. Hopefully the author will have several of these books soon, and then it would really be a series to watch. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”