Official Review: Inconceivable by Rebecca Valenzuela

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Inconceivable by Rebecca Valenzuela

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inconceivable" by Rebecca Valenzuela.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inconceivable: Childhood Lost by Rebecca Valenzuela follows the journey of three teenage friends: Molly, Cecilia, and Kianna. They have grown up in dysfunctional families characterized by neglect, addiction, and abuse. Despite their struggles to overcome life on the streets, the three girls end up in a juvenile correctional center, where they meet the new administrator, Sarah Juarez. She begins to mentor the girls, but Sarah is dealing with her own loss and wonders if she can truly make a difference.

Based on almost twenty years of experience "...working with at-risk youth," Valenzuela's YA story will speak to teenagers in the system, law enforcement, educators, and parents. The 257-page book traverses themes of self-worth, abandonment, abuse, friendship, faith, acceptance, forgiveness, and trust. The story begins with an introduction to the three girls. Kianna has witnessed her father's murder, Molly lives with alcoholic parents, and Cecilia suffers abuse at the hands of her drug-addicted mother. Although the subject matter is intense, the plot-related violence is not explicit, and the book does not contain profanity.

Rather than interrupting the flow of the story, Valenzuela uses parenthetical citations to refer to corresponding scriptures at the end of the book, including this example from the ninth chapter: "She wondered if she would ever get a break. Her life was not easy. (9*1)" The reference cites Jeremiah 29:11: "'For I know the plans and thoughts I have for you,' says the Lord, 'plans for peace and well-being and not for disaster, to give you a future and hope.'" I particularly like this feature, which Valenzuela describes as "...a book of choice." I also appreciate the authenticity that Valenzuela's experience working with at-risk adolescents lends to the story. She effectively shows the reader how much Sarah cares about helping the kids she works with at the detention center. Sarah is the most relatable character and is likely based on the author.

On the other hand, I disliked the constant page flipping required to view the referenced verses. Hyperlinking the references to take readers directly to the scriptures would allow those desiring to delve deeper to quickly access the verses while also preserving the fluidity of the plot.

Additionally, the book lacks professional editing and is rife with errors. For the above reasons, I rate Inconceivable 2 out of 4 stars. Despite its need for further editing, the book conveys a positive message for Valenzuela's previously mentioned targeted audience. However, sensitive readers are cautioned regarding references to drug addiction, domestic violence, rape, and suicide.

Inconceivable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

The subject matter really interests me. Whilst I do not like it referencing religious scriptures, I can always not refer to them :) Thank you for your helpful and professionally written review! :)
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

It sounds like this book has potential. It's a pity it has flaws, though. Excellent review! :tiphat:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I believe the author is fighting a good cause. This book will def br helpful to adolescents who have been through a lot. It's a shame about the flaws though. Great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

From the review, I can already tell that this story is a must read for me because teenage struggles in this day and time is real and if the author has used this book as a means to educate them, then it's a recommended text that needs to be read despite the flaws. Wonderful review, bravo.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Thank you for this very well written review. I don’t think I could do the flipping back and forth to find the verses. I would have to go back after finishing the book to see how the verses impacted the story.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Wow! This is some intense subject matter. While it could be a sensitive topic to some, it is also a good way to introduce readers, young and old, to issues they may never have been exposed to. A pity that this book was not more carefully edited. Thanks for the great review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LinaJan wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 14:52 The subject matter really interests me. Whilst I do not like it referencing religious scriptures, I can always not refer to them :) Thank you for your helpful and professionally written review! :)
Thanks for your kind comments.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mmm17 wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 14:58 It sounds like this book has potential. It's a pity it has flaws, though. Excellent review! :tiphat:
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Elvis Best wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 15:12 I believe the author is fighting a good cause. This book will def br helpful to adolescents who have been through a lot. It's a shame about the flaws though. Great review.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

The_Vivian wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 19:21 From the review, I can already tell that this story is a must read for me because teenage struggles in this day and time is real and if the author has used this book as a means to educate them, then it's a recommended text that needs to be read despite the flaws. Wonderful review, bravo.
Thank you! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

drwcroaker wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 23:48 Thank you for this very well written review. I don’t think I could do the flipping back and forth to find the verses. I would have to go back after finishing the book to see how the verses impacted the story.
That's a good suggestion. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:33 Wow! This is some intense subject matter. While it could be a sensitive topic to some, it is also a good way to introduce readers, young and old, to issues they may never have been exposed to. A pity that this book was not more carefully edited. Thanks for the great review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I believe this is an important story with positive messages even though it has errors. Thank you for a well thought out review. Great job.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Sunchris01
Favorite Book: So This Is Love
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sunchris01 »

Teenage life and stuggles are day to day thing and real. I recommend this book for young adults. Its was a gret review,congratulations!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”