Official Review: I Am Here Now by Barbara Bottner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: I Am Here Now by Barbara Bottner

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Here Now" by Barbara Bottner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read I Am Here Now by Barbara Bottner, a fascinating book written entirely in free verse. This book is fiction, but it tells a story with a very realistic setting.

Maisie is a young teenage girl growing up in the Bronx. The story takes place during the early 1960s. Maisie lives with her parents and her younger brother, Davy. However, Maisie's mom and dad have a very rough marriage. Her mom is very emotionally abusive to Maisie, and her dad abandons them. Maisie has no way to cope, except through her artistic abilities. At times, she is also able to confide in select people, including her neighbor Richie who has issues with his own family, her friend Rachel, and Rachel's artistic mom Kiki. Maisie's father seems caring at times, but he does not stay around long enough to prove that. In the midst of all the chaos, Maisie is beginning to notice boys, including Rachel's boyfriend, which causes tension between Maisie and Rachel.

I enjoyed reading this book, and the free verse style was interesting because it is rare that I have read a book in that form. There was great depth to the characters, and it was easy to see into their lives and feel what they experienced. Occasionally, the author makes references to people, songs, or events which will remind the reader that the story is set in the 60s. Also, being that Maisie's love for art and culture is prominent in the book, many art culture references of that time period are mentioned.

The author did a great job of showing the growth and progression of the characters and relationships, even when those relationships were toxic. The reality behind the character development was very strong. In the negative relationships, such as Maisie's relationship with her mother, there are quick breaks to the negative character, at times. Therefore, the reader is able to see that there is a real, emotional person behind all the cruelty and hatefulness. Yet, not every relationship problem is solved in the end, because in reality, that is not always how it works.

Despite the harsh reality of many situations in the story, there are silver linings that help pull the story together. I feel like the author did a great job of balancing fiction and real life. It is a very gripping story, and the free verse style makes it even more compelling.

Grammatically, I did not see anything wrong with the story. Overall, it was a great book. I would like to note, for those who may have issues with this, there is some language, especially early in the book, but nothing extremely severe. There are also a few sexual references and descriptions, but nothing too graphic. As far as an age group, I would definitely recommend the book for only older teens and adults.

This is a very riveting coming-of-age story, and I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it, especially for those who love poetry, art, and culture. I hope many will get the chance to read this story.

I Am Here Now
View: on Bookshelves
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Maisie must be paying through a lot. I hope she ended up finding the love and care that she deserves.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I hate it when children undergoe body abuse by parents or guardian. I hope it ends well for her. Great review!
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I Love the fact that the tale is fictional but, it consists of plots that can be experienced in reality. Thanks for this wonderful review.
tiyanna thomas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tiyanna thomas »

she must’ve been through a lot while writing this book. In my option this is a really really good book and i recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Discrimination and abuse of children is a core issue in our present society, as there have been measures to curb or eradicate it, but the human mind is deep and dangerous.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I can relate to the relationship between Maise and her father, especially. Some persons really care about you, but they never stick around to prove that. This whole thing can be very confusing, especially to the young girl, Maise.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The summary of the book has definitely piqued my interest. I'd love to read about Maisie's story and see how she copes through the situations. Thank you for writing this engaging review!
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

This seems like an interesting story with a lot going on. Hopefully Maisie's tough life gets better soon because that's a lot to deal for a young teenager. The title "I am here now" gives me hope. Your review makes me want to read this book immediately. You've done such a great job!
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

This book sounds as though it would be a gripping and heartwrenching story to read. The fact that the author wrote in free verse sounds as though it would give it a unique twist. Thank you for such an interesting review.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

I like books that dates back to previous decades. The inclusion of 60s songs and events sounds interesting to me.
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Physical abuse is always distasteful. I'm glad that there are silver linings Maisie.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I know several teen readers who love books in verse. This looks like a great, thoughtful YA book. Thanks for your review!
CherylGweth
Currently Reading: Learn to Love
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherylgweth.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by CherylGweth »

From the review, this book is bound to take readers on a personal trip and makes them evaluate their relationship with others. As a fan of coming-of-age stories, this is a book I'd like to read. Thanks for the review.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

I can't wait to read this. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”