Official Review: Tale of The Winter Lands by JD Bass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Tale of The Winter Lands by JD Bass

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tale of The Winter Lands" by JD Bass.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tale of The Winter Lands by J.D. Bass is the perfect winter armchair adventure. Victoria is a 26-year-old who loves Christmas. Did I say loves? I mean, adores! She wears Christmas sweaters out of season and plays Christmas music too early in the season when the neighbors can hear it. Through a twist of fate, she finds herself traveling alone to Italy. Imagine her surprise when she gets off the plane and is greeted with the words, "Welcome to Helsinki, Finland." So begins the first leg of an unexpected and highly entertaining adventure you don't want to miss!

This story is told in the writing style of old stories and takes the reader to the mystical destination of The Winter Lands. I found myself buried in this story as soon as I opened it. Victoria is the quintessential heroine who is continually trying to humorously make sense of things that won't add up to reality as we know it.

The character development is fantastic. I could hear the voices of characters like Rudolf, the great brown bear, and the wonderfully-described attitude of chipmunks who don't like to be touched. I loved how the citizens of The Winter Lands helped tell the stories in creative ways to commemorate events. I found the creativity in this book fresh and unique throughout.

Written for the young adult genre and told from the first person's perspective, this story has a friendly and personable narrative that connects the reader quickly to Victoria as she journeys through the most amazing places. I enjoyed each discovery as she learned about the people of different lands.

I loved how the author threaded the love of books, especially classics, into this work. The mention of well-known titles encourages readers to broaden their horizons with books whenever possible and plants the seed for the love of reading. Without a doubt, that is my favorite thing about this book. I also liked the cover design, which reflects a beautiful image of what is inside the book.

I could find nothing to dislike about this work, and I can't think of anyone to whom it wouldn't appeal. It will appeal the most to readers who enjoy uplifting, humorous stories. It features an exceptionally creative storyline with a positive message of kindness toward others. The only negative was that there are more than ten grammatical errors in the book. However, once the errors are fixed, it could easily gain top billing. For these reasons, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young adults, as well as older readers. It could also be enjoyed by children if read to them by someone else.

Tale of The Winter Lands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree! This sounds like the perfect book to read while you are watching the snow fall. The author's mention of the classics is an excellent technique to encourage readers to expand their horizons. This looks simply wonderful. Thanks for the motivating review!
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

Oh, my heart becomes melting after reading this review and wondering if I could see winter in my lifetime. This book deserves to be my next reading!
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”