Official Review: The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into D...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into D...

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams" by D.R. O'Shea.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams by Daniel R. O'Shea takes us into a world where the impossible becomes possible, and bravery wins above all else.

When Cael begins to have strange nightmares, he at first dismisses them. But soon, his parents start getting worried, and the dreams seem like they might be hurting him. They go into the city to get help, but what they meet is beyond their anticipation.

Cael meets Landon, who informs him that he has to leave his parents. He reluctantly agrees. They set out on a journey where Cael will learn to understand and control some of the strange things happening around him and hopefully get back to his parents. He also meets Wynn, who agrees to go with him; he is happy at finding a friend to commiserate with. However, Cael seems unprepared for the challenges waiting for him.

I liked the way the author developed this story. The plot was well outlined, and I pictured innocent people ripped from what seemed familiar to them. They were thrust into situations where they must defend themselves from dangers they never expected. They always rose to the occasion when there was a challenge, despite their youth and naivete, even when they were unsure of the outcomes. The characters were memorable, and the interaction between them was real. This was my favorite aspect of the book.

Some of the scenes in this story seemed choppy and disjointed. There were too many events that didn't connect; people popped in and out of scenes from anywhere and nowhere. The transitions between scenes were not smooth, and some parts, like the fighting scenes, were described so flatly that it had little effect on my emotions. Most times, the actions were already over before I could appreciate the scene. Some characters were brought in without explanation, and I was left to figure out who they were. For example, Prince Piers was first mentioned on page 404, and he played a prominent role in the next few chapters. Yet I knew nothing about him other than he was a prince who disliked his two sisters. The book gave the impression of being a continuation of a previous story, though I didn't find anything in the description, introduction, or title page pointing to that. This was what I disliked the most about the book. This issue sabotaged the well-thought-out plot of the story.

There were tons of grammatical errors in this book. I'd recommend another round of professional editing. I'd rate it 2 out of 4 stars because of the choppy and disjointed scenes. If I could, I would give it a 2.5-star rating, but it would be a guideline violation. I would, therefore, recommend it to anybody who loves adventure or fantasy stories. If you could look past the disconnection in some scenes, you'd appreciate the storyline.

The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Well, seems like there's a story here. Yet and still, disjointed scenes is a bit off. Thank you for your honest review 👏
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

It sounds like the story had a lot of potential bits feeling lost or confused while reading a book is the worst. I hope the author fixes some of the mistakes.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

I'm definitely interested in this book. But since there are disjointed scenes and some grammatical flaws, I'm not so sure.
K-A-Y
Favorite Book: The Bride Test
Currently Reading: Walking Dead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-a-y.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by K-A-Y »

It's always a bother when there is no sense of continuity in a story. Maybe with a bit more editing though, these issues could be sorted out. It does sound like a promising read though, so these issues are a must-fix
Love & Light
K-A-Y 🧡
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

K-A-Y wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 05:12 It's always a bother when there is no sense of continuity in a story. Maybe with a bit more editing though, these issues could be sorted out. It does sound like a promising read though, so these issues are a must-fix
The editor should've done better. Ofcourse another round of proofreading is necessary.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”