Official Review: 'Is Something Funny Mr. Allen?"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: 'Is Something Funny Mr. Allen?"

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Is Something Funny Mr. Allen?"" by Ron Kempton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is Something Funny Mr. Allen? is a young adult novel by Ron Kempton that tells the coming-of-age story of Richard Allen. The story begins in 1974, during Richard’s eighth grade year, when he is nothing more than an inquisitive child who can’t stop laughing at the quirky antics of his best friend, Marty. However, when he first lays eyes on Wendy, Richard knows he is in love and that his life finally has meaning. Unfortunately, Wendy has to move away, and her meddlesome family falsely believes that Richard is nothing but trouble. They refuse to allow him to contact her and spread lies about him in the process. As Richard goes through high school and begins to discover more about himself and his friends, he still can’t get Wendy out of his mind. With her family constantly interfering, is it possible that Richard may never get to see Wendy again?

Though the story seems to be quite simple, there are actually several more minor subplots going on at the same time. Though the story is told from Richard’s perspective, I found that Marty was also a main character. He was always there as Richard’s best friend, and he had his own family problems to deal with. In high school, Richard and Marty become friends with their former bully, Mark, who also has his own problems. Girls and their problems get thrown into the mix as well. Richard observes all of this as he tries to figure out his relationship with his own father. More and more characters are introduced to the story as it progresses, but it was quite easy to keep up with the growing cast as they were fluidly introduced to the story.

Despite the simple progression of the book, I often found the plot of the book to be a little bit lacking in its direction. It was more like reading about random events in a teenager’s journal than reading a smooth, flowing story. Lots of time passed between certain events, and pretty big milestones and moments (such as an important character suddenly leaving) were glanced over in a mere sentence or two. This made the overall story just seem a little slow-paced and packed with unnecessary filler. I was often asking myself, “What’s the point of this?” It was a strange combination of having too many things going on at once while also leaving me feeling like nothing was advancing the story.

I’m also not sure that I could pinpoint the exact “climax” of the story. There are certain events that are pretty climactic, but with so many characters leading the story in so many different directions, it’s hard to tell what is the defining moment of the book.

The first thing that stood out to me about the book is the missing comma in the title. I thought that perhaps this was intentional and had something to do with a specific occurrence within the text. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. The event that gives the book its title occurs within the first few pages, and the comma is missing there as well. While the overall editing of the book wasn’t terrible, there were still enough small typos and errors to influence my overall rating of the book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The story had its funny moments and was a cute read if you are looking for something lighthearted. People who have lived through the 1970s might relate to some of the situations, such as being able to connect with someone across state lines only by snail mail. The plot was a little slow-paced for my preferences, and there wasn’t a clear direction with the plot. With some additional editing, I would love to add another star to the score, but in its current form, I have to stick with 2 stars.

'Is Something Funny Mr. Allen?"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Loves does indeed change us in strange ways. It is unfortunate Wendy's family did not like Richard. Great review.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This sounds like a nice, light-hearted story. Hopefully, it gets another round of editing in the future. Thank you for your review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It does sound cute but maybe slightly messy in terms of context. I think coming-of-age stories are important. You get to learn quite a bit from them.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

While the premise is simple, it seems like there's a lot of complexities brought about by the problems mentioned. I enjoyed reading your review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Bibliomanaic_aza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliomanaic-aza.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Bibliomanaic_aza »

I like stories with a big cast and interesting sub plots. Will check it out, thanks for your review.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

I enjoyed your review. Also, I like cute and light-hearted stories, so I guess I'll give this a try.
We are all unique in our own ways :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”