The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jayden Gilbey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jayden-gilbey.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Re: The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by Jayden Gilbey »

I much prefer The Hunger Games over Divergent, although I did only read the first book in the divergent series because I was spoiled for the ending of the series and that made me lose interest in those books. I read all the Hunger Games books and really enjoyed them.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Julia J 1 »

I know this topic was posted years ago but having being a part of the hype of both these books as a young kid and now I'm a adult I have a few things to say.

I think The Hunger Games is far superior, I know a lot of people show malice towards it because of taking the idea of kids murdering each other from Battle Royale. I think it's a bit ridiculous to hate on a novel that uses a concept. Almost every book has one part or another that is unoriginal. It's about how they interpret that idea that is important.

THG is a much more raw and realistic novel in terms of emotions and the mental effects of war on a person. Katniss experiences intense PTSD throughout the books because of the games.
So many YA fiction novels never address the mental impact murder can have on a person. THG does a great job showing classism, the horrors of war and even propaganda.

I enjoyed the Divergent series until the last book. It felt very rushed and didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Fun story but didn't really make me think a lot about it afterwards. Whereas THG did.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

For me, they're not wholly the same. But politically speaking, they both pursue justice and rights for the people.

I love both, Hunger Games and Divergent series. I loved them the moment I watched its movie adaptations. I love the characters and the settings. Both authors created fantastic worlds. It's just amazing.

I can't choose between the two.
Queeny Li
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Queeny Li »

I personally believe that the series Hunger Games and Divergent are both really amazing novels especially since both series are dystopian novels.
Suzanne Collins did a wonderful job of making the reader walk into a different world with war and different challenges of learning about human rights. I know that most of my friends do enjoy the Hunger Games a lot.
On the other hand, Veronica Roth, the author of the Divergent series gave the reader a chance to experience a world where being different (Divergent) isn't respected. Although I wasn't really excited about how Tris, a weak character in the beginning was the main character, I could feel what she felt on these harsh journeys. Something that I do wish Veronica did was to not end the series with Allegiant and Tris dying from saving her brother who she didn't owe anything to. Tobias also falls in love with Christina, Tris's friend and that part is a bit depressing for readers who enjoy Tris and Tobias together.
Overall though, I personally can't choose between both series since they are both full of exciting and morally special adventures.
Claire Zondo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-zondo.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Claire Zondo »

I have read both of the series :The Hunger Games and The Divergent, I prefer Divergent over Hunger Games. I love the whole series of Divergent while I only prefered two books in the Hunger Games, I feel that throughout the Hunger Games series I disconnected from the books as a reader, and kept reading it just so I could know how it ended without misssing out on anything.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I prefer the Hunger Games, but I accept that it can be bias as I accessed this series before Divergent. Although being different to each other, I felt the sensation of being with something too similar as to really engage with.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I enjoyed the Hunger Games series a lot more, although it tapered off at the end in a way I did not really enjoy. In my opinion, Divergent was not in the same league but I do appreciate that some would not agree. I felt the theme of Divergent was not as gripping as the Hunger Games theme.
Sibaleus
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sibaleus »

I have read both trilogies and I much prefer The Hunger Games. Although I do love the Divergent series I didn't like the last book as it was fast paced and had a lot going on all of a sudden. That being said I do like the fact that Tris dies at the end because it is very uncommon to find books where the main character dies at the end instead of living "happily ever after". The loss of the main character give the book an edge in my opinion as it makes it more memorable.
With THG I really enjoyed all of the books and have read and listened to all of them several times. The parts of the books that I enjoyed the most was probably when she was in the games. For some reason I just found it really interesting to know what would happen and to see how she would react. Overall my favourite was the second games as in the first games it took her a while to figure out how to act and then only when her ally had been killed she knew she would kill. However in her second games she comes out fighting right away and doesn't hesitate to kill if they threaten Peeta.
I didn't really enjoy the last book as much althought that is only because I think way too many characters died. I know it sounds controversial with me saying previously that I liked the main character dying but in the last book I had the feeling that the author just chose people at random to die which made you lose that feeling of sorrow as I don't even know which people died because it was just so many of them.

Everything being said both Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth are amazing authors and have written brilliant books and everything about is purely my opinion.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I read both series as a teenager and really enjoyed both. As an adult, I think I find Hunger Games to be more compelling and well written. I did not have a problem with the writing style of Divergent as a teen, but as an adult I agree with the original poster that the author left a lot of areas where more description would’ve been beneficial. However as a teen, this allowed for my own imagination to fill in the gaps! It’s difficult for me to compare series when there is so much to appreciate about both, and in such different ways.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”