The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissalynn411
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Hunger Games Series vs. Divergent Series

Post by melissalynn411 »

These series are being compared a lot lately, especially with both now being put on the big screen. I'd love to hear about everyone's opinions on these two series, either compared or separately as a series.
I have personally read both series and enjoyed them both. However, I am partial to The Hunger Games. I think Collins did a wonderful job of setting the scene and developing the characters. While, Roth created an amazing alternate realty of the world we already live in, i felt that, at times, there was so much more that needed to be said, described, and explained that she just skipped over. All of the characters, besides the main character, were all incredibly under-developed, in my opinion.
What did you all think?
Primrose
Currently Reading: The Rottweiler
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Primrose »

I read The Hunger Games recently - the first one only. It is the almost the same as a Japanese Movie called, Battle Royale. The idea of children competing and trying to kill each other until only one is left is not new.
melissalynn411

Post by melissalynn411 »

Joan Slowey wrote:I read The Hunger Games recently - the first one only. It is the almost the same as a Japanese Movie called, Battle Royale. The idea of children competing and trying to kill each other until only one is left is not new.
How interesting. I did not know about that. Either way, I still enjoyed the series. I think it was well developed and I was drawn into the world created and the characters' lives. I believe if a book does that to me and I cannot put it down, then the author has done their job properly!

Thank you for sharing the information with me though :)
CanAmeriNadian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-canamerinadian.html

Post by CanAmeriNadian »

I have read both series and loved them as well. The concept of social stratification can be seen in both books but is more apparent in the Hunger Games Series. In Divergent it is a bit harder to spot, and each group seems to display it in a unique way. The authors displayed the common themes of class struggle and revolution in a way that todays teens can relate to. I found the Hunger Games Series to be the better of the two becuase it was able to maintain my interest long after I finished the series. The lack of well developed characters and amount of unanswered questions at the end of Divergent is why I did not rate it above the other. With that said I believe the third book of the Divergent series really brought it home and left me happy that I finished the series.
ChelseaH
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseah.html

Post by ChelseaH »

melissalynn411 wrote:These series are being compared a lot lately, especially with both now being put on the big screen. I'd love to hear about everyone's opinions on these two series, either compared or separately as a series.
I have personally read both series and enjoyed them both. However, I am partial to The Hunger Games. I think Collins did a wonderful job of setting the scene and developing the characters. While, Roth created an amazing alternate realty of the world we already live in, i felt that, at times, there was so much more that needed to be said, described, and explained that she just skipped over. All of the characters, besides the main character, were all incredibly under-developed, in my opinion.
What did you all think?
I prefer the Divergent Trilogy over the Hunger Games Trilogy, but that's just because I was far more entralled with the story-line of Divergent than Hunger Games. Although, both books are phenomenal and definitely reread-worthy.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

Having read The Hunger Games first, I thought Divergent was going to be one in the same. However, the further I read into Divergent I was pleased they are not the same. I enjoyed both series and do not prefer one over the other and would most likely read them again.
Some of my happiest moments are when lost within the pages of a book!
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

Well, I have read both and I enjoyed the Hunger Games more. I was not a big fan of Divergent. They were easy reads but I couldn't stand the main character and she brought down the rest of the book for me. Roth is a talented writer but none of the Divergent books resonated with me. The Hunger Games on the other hand I felt had power to them. There was a tangible fear and pain that you felt throughout all of the books. I choose Hunger Games.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

I usually do not like comparing books, mostly because I do not find it fair to the writers. I do not think writers intend for their readers to finish with their book and then immediately pick another one which we think is similar and begin comparing. I believe writers would simply like us to be entertained and challenged by their writing. The Hunger Games and Divergent have two different messages in my opinion and they can both stand alone. So, I suppose it is like choosing between Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, and Jane Eyre. They all are within the same general time frame, yet they are different books, have different writers, characters, morals, and motivators.

The Hunger Games stands as one of my favorite series. However, this is not because I compared the two series and the Hunger Games emerged as the winner. The story just resonates with me on its own and I believe it is a true inspiration to many people.

Anyway, that is my little opinion on the subject. I am not asking you to agree, but it is what I think. :-)
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
Revsasquatch
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe
Favorite Book: Divergent
Currently Reading: insurgent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revsasquatch.html
fav_author_id: 4228

Post by Revsasquatch »

We do not believe that any other virtue is more important than bravery."
taraelizi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taraelizi.html

Post by taraelizi »

I have read both series but did not read the last book of the Divergent series. I found both series to be wonderful and I do not compare them to each other. I think I favor Divergent over Hunger games just because of the way Hunger games ended. I'm sure my mind would be changed if I actually read the last book of Divergent. Also the love triangle in The Hunger games annoyed me most of the time and that is also why I favor Divergent more. They are both awesome books though!
nikinoodle7
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Such a hard choice
Currently Reading: Insurgent By Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikinoodle7.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by nikinoodle7 »

I completely love both of these! The Hunger Games was spectacular and I'm deep into the second book of the Divergent series. I cannot stop reading! It's so great and I've loved the movies so far!
Natasha 2011

Post by Natasha 2011 »

I recently just finished reading the divergent series and read the hunger games series a while ago but I would have a hard time choosing which I liked more. I have a special place for both of them as I fell in love with both series, I love that both leading women are strong and willing to do anything to save those that they love but both are in totally different situations. one where a girl has to kill others just to ensure her own survival, the other who has to make very hard choices over and over again both with her family and with what will happen to her city. I can see how some people can compare them but I personally don't see that many similarities, maybe that comes form me over thinking too much though! :P
jlrossetti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrossetti.html

Post by jlrossetti »

As I read the Divergent Series, the first thing I thought was "Harry Potter meets Hunger Games". It is a combination of the sorting hat combine with the idea of fighting for your freedom. The books, while great reads, seemed to much of the ideas from the other two books. However, the first two were very well written and very easy to follow. The third lost me a little bit when Roth changed her writing style.
Bookworm4ever

Post by Bookworm4ever »

the hunger games are definitely not as good as the divergent series.
hnelson001

Post by hnelson001 »

I loved The Hunger Game series and I thought that the divergent series was good I just was not a fan of the change in writing style in the last Divergent. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I think it may have given away at the ending a little when I started reading it and the writing style changed. That is why I think I connected as a reader to The Hunger Games!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”